UKA and ABC

181 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bernard Mathews
Anonymous's picture
Not a lot I can add here except to post this link for the benefit of Andrea.
fish
Anonymous's picture
well i suppose i am sorry to see the old bat go ... have had many a laugh and a shared rage on these threads over the years ... but frankly her garden DOES need attention ... its very warming to see all the heartfelt stuff from the other abctalers ... and GREAT to hear about all the supportive emails you have had mrs... but steady on there dont make her too big headed ... i expect the management are also very very grateful for all that liana has done for them over the years ... and whatever you think of her she HAS done a bloody lot of reading and commenting and whatnot ... and i really hope tony and mark have showed her that appreciation ... she deserves it ...
Emma
Anonymous's picture
Neil's the bearded one, I am always clean-shaven.
martin_t
Anonymous's picture
may i just add that liana is remarkably youthful looking for a woman of 42
Umberto Ecco
Anonymous's picture
Author: egriff (---.ipt.aol.com) Date: 02-20-02 19:34 Did andrea just kill our party? [%sig%]
Jeff Prince
Anonymous's picture
Can I borrow your Wilkinson Sword, please? Actually, they're rough as bricks. Don't worry. [%sig%]
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Point taken - I'll remove it. I just thought perhaps we could all get along... And Fish - that's exactly what I meant, although you managed to say it using far fewer words. Thanks for the link, Mr Mathews. Somewhat misguided, but a lovely thought nonetheless :-) Definitely raised a smile...
Tony Cook
Anonymous's picture
Mark has indeed shown his appreciation and spoke for me whilst doing so. Liana has been one of the mainstays of ABC for a long time and we are deeply appreciative of her humanity as well as her work. We completely understand that she has other pressing engagements but will love her for all she has done and all she will do, in whatever forum, in the future. Thankyou a million times over.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
The wise person would have left it there and re-opened it to whomsoever wished to post. You see the major difference between the two sites is that ABC believes in freedom of expression, something that has been the focal point of writers for centuries. It means you have to allow everyone to have their say. On ABC there has frequently been squabbles, lord knows I've been involved in enough of them, but they always resolve themselves eventually, without the heavy-handed and doctrinal interference of the management. It's a quality in Tony and Mark that I greatly admire, partly because it requires guts to adhere to. The UKA philosophy of, 'if the management don't like it we will remove it' is counter to everything writers have fought for over the years. I hasten to add that many other sites also do this. OK, it's your site, your decision but you will never be seen as a 'freedom' respecting site as long as you do that. It's a fact of life that humans will disagree over practically anything, it's a sign of maturity and intelligence to allow them to.
Emma
Anonymous's picture
Oi, it's rude to talk about a woman's age, anyway, which photo are you looking at? Seriously, echo Fish's words Liana, you've got my mail.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
It was her waist measurement, Emma. It happens to all those that give up fags.
sheepshank
Anonymous's picture
I'd just like to say that I don't read UKA and I have absolutely no idea what's going on. [%sig%]
AJ
Anonymous's picture
for the peeps who don't know about UKA........ Andrea doesn't OWN IT. SHE JUST THINKS SHE DOES! She is an editor like any other. The difference between the two sites is enormous. Here on ABC the forums advocate freedom of speech, even when it's against the editors etc. UKA however NEVER allows anything contradictory to be left on the forums...........ADMIN WILL DELETE!! I have on occasion posted comments and voila they magically disappear into the bowels of cyber space. So let's call a spade a spade here and not a shovel. Phew am so pleased this will not be deleted!! For the record I have great respect for the writers of both sites.....indeed many have become personal friends. You know who you are. Happy Easter.
Emma
Anonymous's picture
Gwendolen: I'm glad to say I've never seen a spade. (or was it Cecily) *chuckles* Interesting post AJ, thanks for that.
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
The difference is Garth, that when people slag off abc or uka, they are also slagging off Andrea & Richard, or Mark & Liana - and doing it in front of them. And I'm sure Gerard Houllier feels that the truckloads of cash he gets for doing the job makes the stick he takes from people at a distance more bearable. When you're involved in running something, giving up your free time for no money and very little support from the community you are helping, every now and then it just gets overwhelming and you take the criticism personally. To put it another way - it is okay to say Delia Smith can't cook, but it is a bit cheeky to say it while she is in the kitchen making your main course and you are wolfing down her starter...
Deckchair Attendant
Anonymous's picture
*unlocks shed*
Garth
Anonymous's picture
I understand now Andrew. My problem is I'm not really up on the underlying politics of the two sites. But here's a thought. What if you said, "Delia you're a great cook, a legend in the kitchen, but I'm a vegetarian so I won't be eating that bacon butty you've just prepared, and anyway Norwich City are crap." Surely that kind of comment would be OK and Delia wouldn't take it amiss?
Sam Jaffa
Anonymous's picture
'Jaffa cakes! Jaffa cakes! get your Jaffa cakes 'ere. In short supply, don't let 'em start without you caked up. Jaffa cakes Jaffa cakes.......
neil_the_auditor
Anonymous's picture
Yes I'm Neil2. Who are you on the other channel Emma?
Emma
Anonymous's picture
I thought deck chairs were only for Sunday night parties.
Marnie
Anonymous's picture
So - and this is my UKA name and not my ABC name (and for this I have been called a troll on UKA) by that reckoning, are you all trolls? Andorra? Care to respond?
Flaska Tee
Anonymous's picture
Anyone?
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Come on you lot, take this seriously, please.
Andorra
Anonymous's picture
I've never used the word troll - so I'm not quite clear what you mean. Are who all trolls? You mean people who ... use different names on different threads? Or people who post on both threads? I think you can use any name you like, surely?
AJ
Anonymous's picture
lemingade..........
Marnie
Anonymous's picture
Thank you Andorra. I would agree with you. So how then, in that case, am I shouted down as a troll on UKA, and then, prevented from posting?
Emma
Anonymous's picture
Earl Grey please.
Andorra
Anonymous's picture
I don't know anything about that - sorry. I haven't been using these posts, ABC or UKA for very long. Just recently registered and have made a few comments on ABC; joined UKA some time in December. I try to follow quite a few threads but obviously not all of them. Is there something you could pinpoint that might have caused it? The more lively arguments I tend to shy away from, try to lighten by dropping in some 'humour' - or just add to with a simple point of view. (Try to do that, anyway!) So I can't tell you what it was that caused that to happen. I can understand it would have been a shock to you. As to cause, swearing at someone or hurling obscene insults can rile, but apart from that, I don't know ... unless there was some mistake (?) in which case, you could send an email about it (?) Nobody likes to be accused of something they didn't do, obviously. Sorry I'm not much use!
AJ
Anonymous's picture
with brandy Emma?
Marnie
Anonymous's picture
Oh no, I never swear. Andorra, what name do you use at UKA?

Pages

Topic locked