So...

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
So...

So I've noticed that a lot of people on TV keep beginning sentences with the word so.

So has anyone else noticed this?

oh yes - and it drives me MAD - can't bear it!

Is nearly as bad as....blah blah blah..

Stephen d

so...blah,blah,blah, you understand what I'm saying?

Just gets me. Women always use 'just' to apologise. Just wondered...just thought..just ten minutes away.

So is such and so and so of a word. Listen to Radio 4 and you'll hear psychologists and writers replying to any question with the inevitable so. It's the new 'look', which Tony Blair promoted, a word full of promise but usually without effect. It's an introductory word, to get us interested in what's about to be said, but is most likely attributed to an eleven year old girl stamping her authority in big school. 

The one that really gets me is "At the end of the day" You hear people put it into sentence after sentence as if they're an expert on any subject.

So, at the end of the day, I suppose we're all guilty of it sometimes...

One of my pet gripes is the intrusive 'so' at the start of every explanation.  I also have a beef with "I love it/her/him to bits, but..."

I also cringe when I hear "Its a big ask" and the American slang phrase "My bad" when its used by posh, middle class English people to sound cool.