EDDIE GIBBON! I AM AMUSED!

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
EDDIE GIBBON! I AM AMUSED!

Your limericks are a bloody scream!

I also liked the one that began with 'The Day Swells Up .... '

the professor o...
Anonymous's picture
Re Eddie's poem Reasons for Writing: "I dwindle down/to Angstrom dimensions" - is this a reference to John Updike's hero of the same name ? I'm curious.
Eddie Gibbons
Anonymous's picture
Carly, Please don't encourage me - I just might write more of them. Professor, Sorry, there are no great Literary allusions in the poem. I use the term 'Angstrom' to denote 'very small'. Angstrom units are used for expressing atomic distances. Cheers! Eddie Gibbons (with an 's' - I'm plural)
finn
Anonymous's picture
You're not by any chance related to that Funky Gibbon that Jasper Carrott used to sing about some years ago are you?
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
surely the funky gibbon was The Goodies ... are you thinking of mopeds finn?
finn
Anonymous's picture
Yeah you're right ivory etc. it was a moped, and I suppose Eddie Moped sounds a bit silly doesn't it?
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
hmmmmm .... i don't know there ... i rather like the sound of eddie moped ... (as long as you get the emPHAsis right ... otherwise he just sounds a bit glum ...) ... as a character i do not suppose eddie moped would be too utterly thrilling but probably thrilling enough ... (for ME anyway) ...
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
What's all this, I turn my back for five minutes and you start getting all worked up about a bloody motorised pushbike!
Hitch
Anonymous's picture
Yet another thread hijacked! This time by a moping moped! All roads lead to Mrs Hippie, by the looks of things. ps Could I hitch a ride to Graceland on your Moped, Mr Funky? pps Are you the one who wrote 'The Rise & Fall of the Roman Stamp Collection'? Thumbs up! Hitchaiku.
Eddie Gibbons
Anonymous's picture
Afan? Are you Welsh, Ivory? BTW *grins and dribbles* creased me up. Gets my vote for most succinct reply on the site. Any other offers on that?
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
sorry eddie ... can't stop ... am off to "Ta Chucks" with WH Audenary ... (i think i'm falling in love with him)
wildcitywoman
Anonymous's picture
Oh, you're quite welcome.
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
And where may I ask did you come from? I see you suffer from some kind of hitch and it seems to be in the geographical department. All roads don't lead to me and you can make your own way to Graceland as I've had to in the past! And no, I didn't write anything about the ancient Italians postal arrangements or the archive there of! One last thing, whatever the threads start as has nothing whatever to do with what they end up as, that's one of the interesting things about the discussion groups. They are just open doors, beckoning the unsuspecting reader to explore.
robert
Anonymous's picture
tend to agree about the threads splintering off being A Good Thing, altho i wish you hadn't mentioned it M cos i came here this time to applaud eddie...i've read all his stuff now and enjoyed it tremendously
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I wasn't detracting from Eddie's work Robert, I'm sure it's very good, i was just trying to put 'Hitch ?' in the picture!
Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
There are some interesting things in these discussion groups. There are some un-interesting things in these discussion groups. Let's not be picky though ....
Eddie Gibbons
Anonymous's picture
Thanks for your kind words, Robert. Mississippi - I think the references are Gibbon's (no relation) 'The Rise & Fall of the Roman Empire' and Stanley Gibbons' (no relation) stamp collecting books. Finn - you're a scream! Funky Gibbon eh? I've not heard that one before! Well, not from anyone over seven years old with an IQ larger than his shoe size.
Eric
Anonymous's picture
Hey, Eddie All this moped stuff has gibbon me an idea. You know we have lamented that it's often not enough to be a good writer, but one requires a gimmick as well? In the absence of shiny youth or a drugs scandal, how would you feel about wearing a foppish Oscar Wilde-type wig? Then you could be Eddie Mophead, or, better still, Mophead Gibbons! Mophead Gibbons Mophead Gibbons His reputation is not in ribbons! He swings, he climbs 'Mongst literary trees And see his hair blow in the breeze! Hmmmn... Perhaps not. How about a drugs scandal then? Just trying to help! Earache
Eddie Gibbons
Anonymous's picture
I'm surrounded by idiots.
IFB
Anonymous's picture
*grins and dribbles*
Eddie Gibbons
Anonymous's picture
Sorry, Ivory, I should have been more specific - I was referring to Finn and Eric, pratts of this parish.
IFB
Anonymous's picture
*feeling left out now* love from A Fan x x x
Carly Svamvour
Anonymous's picture
Well, Gibbons, with an S, or whatever you're calling yourself today, I got a real chuckle out of those limericks. Yes - I will encourage you - you ought to write more - maybe I'll share mine.
Topic locked