Life Changing Experiences

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Life Changing Experiences

What is the one most significant experiences that had a profound influences on the direction of you’re life. Is there one?

For me, it was definitely a three year encounter with a very old fashioned Catholic Priest called Father John.

I was about 17 years old, un able to read, write, spell. I hadn’t even seen my own signature and was pretty much lost in a world of Dyslexia that all input had failed to help.

Along comes this priest, a big burley man with long black robs that belonged in the 18 century and a very shinny bald head. He was something out of Dickens.

He assessed me, laughed a big burley laugh and said, “right then young man, lets begin”. He began by forcing me to learn to read Barnaby Rung, Great Expectations and the rest.

Three years later, I had rudimental reading and writing skills that are now up to a reasonable standard 20 years down the line.

This single event opened up a world that I had been excluded from, and it was then I new that I wanted to be a writer.

Any one else got an interesting story to tell?

John
Anonymous's picture
Hi Jay. I just got back from an overnight stay at the sea side. It was grate to just walk up the beach and listen to the fury of the sea. I understand what you’re friend felt like, for some reason, people ten to pout a big emphasis on spelling and without realising it, use it as a measure of another persons intelligence. This social misunderstanding can be very undermining to the point of self defamation of one’s own abilities, not to mention self confidence. I posed this thread, because it suddenly accrued to me how significant this persons selflessness was. If it wasn’t for his un conditional act, what direction might my life have gone in? I was interested to see if any one hear had key events that played a part in the way there life turned out. I guess it’s an experience unique to me and youre freind?
Jay
Anonymous's picture
I think I have many interesting stories to tell and have done so in the past but found yours John which I have only just seen much more interesting than mine because I have a friend who is Dyslexic and had no confidence in herself at all and she was always putting herself down till one day because I thought a lot of her and still do to this day I took it upon myself to try and build her confidence up as I could see just how much she had going for her also what wasn't right she tended to think I was better than her and I knew I wasn't, so by the effort I put in to showing her how much better she thought she was because she really! could do so much more than myself in lots of things and now when I remember how she was then and thats a long time ago now and how she is today it pleases me so much to see the change in her even though she is still Dyslexic so it seems sometimes we can help to change lives if its at all possible but do think there was another's hand giving me guidance and never do I think I did it alone...
Topic locked