Hyperlinks and browser crashes

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hyperlinks and browser crashes

Is there any way, that when we type in a link to a web page, it can hyperlink?
For instance when someone recommends a read on the site, instead of having to cut and paste the link into the browser, we could just click on the address.

Just a thought.....I'm not a programmer, by any stretch of the imagination, so I dont know how it might be done.

Also...does anyone else have a problem with IE crashing after marking a piece of work on here? I get the message about being sent back to where I came from (bloody good idea say many) and then nothing happens. When I click on the back arrow function, IE always crashes at that point.

stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
I wonder if this will work? [Bad bit of code removed at server side. Please don't do that again, 'cos we might have to disallow HTML linking, which would be a shame...]
iFB
Anonymous's picture
*astonished* stormy ... HOW did you do THAT?????????
robert
Anonymous's picture
stormy stop messing with my mind!
stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
heh heh can't say or everyone will be doing it!! ABC will prob delete it lol ~~~I promise not to do it again Ed's ok?~~~ *uncrosses fingers*
stormy
Anonymous's picture
sorry just a little joke made a few laugh while it was up
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
including one from me - but you know why it had to go... Although given that you're clearly a bit of a whizz at this kind of thing, fancy building us an avatar based chat room for free? ;-)
stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
LOL emily. I limited it to just two pop ups in the hope it would survive longer. (Fool, you should have trapped them for hours!!!) Re chatroom: ....ermm. I have been teaching myself HTML and javascript only just recently and I suspect your request is a tad beyond my limited whatnots. If I can I will, and for free, but don't hold your breath! *goes off to sneak into avatar based chatrooms to see how they do it*
stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
Please delete the word 'tad' in the above post and replace with phrase 'step in the style of Neil Armstrong' Thank-you. First one to name the third man who stayed onboard and what his link to the troubles could be wins erm .... well....that wind up radio thing that never got awarded. unless that was a wind up see emily for details.
iFB
Anonymous's picture
heartfelt plea to ABC mission control ... PLEASE no chatroom ... this bloody site takes up enough of my time already ... (but surely there are loads of ways you can attach a free chatroom em's???)
soft lad
Anonymous's picture
the third apollo 11 astronaut was mike collins. teacher said so in 'Ancient History' class.
soft lad
Anonymous's picture
er... the link... he was hyper.
stormy
Anonymous's picture
Soft lad. Yep, Michael Collins ....the man they all forgot. Link is same name as Irish 'freedom fighter'. Hollywood slightly re-wrote history in the eponymous film. iFB. Yes there are freebies out there and some better ones that are available for 'royalty' fee of $50 per month. I suspect they are all quite slow though when compared with Yahoo chat and cheetachat. Avatar support is a bit tricky.
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
re: chatroom, I'll see what I can do iFB... Re: radio, Stormy, it should have been awarded - not my dept but I'll do some digging... I *really* want an avatar based chatroom though - for all the non techies out there, avatars are virtual cartoon style characters - would refer you to cycosmos but there isn't a UK site for it any more (you could check out the German version at though) In some of the cooler avatar based chat systems out there, you can add in virtual surrounding so the Elf and Unicorn, Ta Chucks and Spags R Us could have (kind of) real locations(giving away my geek obsessions here)
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Mental note. Don't try writing html when drunk... the URL I meant is http://www.cycosmos.com
sigh
Anonymous's picture
It always crashes for me as well
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
OK, the test above shows that hyperlinks will work if you type them in html. The code is as follows (replace the _ sign with a space - I had to replace the space with _ otherwise it would have appeared as a hyperlink!) what you want to call the hyperlink Hope this helps Cheers Emily PS: what ISPs are you using, Sigh and Liana? May help our techies fix the problem
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Grrrr! that didn't work cos the *&^%$£ computer thought it was code. Mail me and I'll send you the code to use to insert a hyperlink!
stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
I have the same problem Emily but I use netscape not IE. I've noticed that spag,liana and myself all show as 'server.ntl.com' . My ISP is which.net I also have 2 other probs. 1) Cannot delete any work. Just get an error message. (can't remember exactly what the message says though) 2) Since I started a 2nd ABC set I cannot edit any work. Where it says "chose which set etc" I do not have a menu to choose from. So I blunder on regardless then when I submit it tells me I'm not the recognised owner of the work! So folks, I HAVE noticed the typo's in my work, just can't do a thing about them!!
stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
meant to say that I do not get the browser crash but I do not get sent back either. Liana. I right click the back button which brings up a drop down menu of the last 10 pages I've been to enabling me to skip back to where I was before the story. This should work in IE.
sigh,man
Anonymous's picture
Yeah I do that now
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
thanks for all this - I'll get our techies on the case and report back soon
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Thanks Stormy. I'll switch to that method from now on.
brones
Anonymous's picture
not too sure if it will work but if you put in http://www.blablabla (whatever the website address is) you shoud make it into a hyperlink and you wuill nit have to cut and paste only a suggestion - dont take it as bible okdoke brones
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Oh well, worth a go........
Topic locked