"A" by Elfyn

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
"A" by Elfyn

What a classic ! A by Elfyn

Taking miniminalism to new post-modern levels, or a techie's inspired parody of those who praise "the words that are not used"?

More please!

Paulgreco
Anonymous's picture
Aha...as Liana, and Canadians, would say: "My bad!" HTML screw up. I was just about to blame the new system too!
david floyd
Anonymous's picture
I agree this is a fantastic piece. Can't wait for B.
Paulgreco
Anonymous's picture
But will there ever be a "B"? Will he feel artistically exhausted and "do a Salinger"? Somebody rated it three stars!!! Philistines I tell ya! My 5-star should have redressed the balance.
donignacio
Anonymous's picture
It's been done before. ;-)
david floyd
Anonymous's picture
Originality is so passe.
gail
Anonymous's picture
I found the piece very new and refreshing, an oasis of calm in the bombardment of words filling our everyday lives. Very zen.
gail
Anonymous's picture
for all you Elfyn fans, there are now pieces M and X. M doesn't have the usual depth about it unless I am missing something. X on the other hand is utterly expressive and shows feelings typical of a worthy artistic genius.
Paulgreco
Anonymous's picture
It was like Elfyn was saying: YOU'RE the reader, what do YOU want to read about...and left us with this literary blank canvass to project our own ideas on to. Sublime.
Paulgreco
Anonymous's picture
My story Just amazing. How does he pull it off? Everything that needs to be said packed into a poetic atom. Where's "X" Gail?
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
Actually, the Don is right: there have been several pieces like this recently, just the titles change. Perhaps this is the '03 equivalent of the "mood ring" or the "pet rock"? You did have those things in the UK in the 70s, didn't you?
Freader
Anonymous's picture
I'm sorry to disagree but I think it's rather un-thought out. I could have done it myself. And it doesn't even work as a stream if consciousness.
markbrown
Anonymous's picture
OOOOOOO, you sarky buggers!
chant
Anonymous's picture
so, this piece, "A". is it poetry or is it prose? we just don't know. what we do know is that this is clearly the kind of cutting edge writing abc has been crying out for. yes, i've used the cutting edge phrase, and i'm not ashamed to do so. not since the astonishing little bird poems of Phyllis White has the site been so challenged. i think the questions we're all asking ourselves now are: who is this Elfyn? how can he do what he does? and why hasn't his work been cherry-picked? the new writer of the month, surely.
gail
Anonymous's picture
oh no, the wonderfully expressive piece "X" has disappeared.
donignacio
Anonymous's picture
Skip down to poem #3 http://www.abctales.com/abcplex/viewStory.cgi?s=17652 ...not that I'm promoting my own work or anything...
d.beswetherick
Anonymous's picture
The piece is cutting edge. Particularly the execution. d. beswetherick.
Paulgreco
Anonymous's picture
Alas, "A" has now been removed by the author, a great loss to abc - but, along with such genius, are we really surprised that such a volatile temperament comes hand in hand; a reluctance to see the beauty of creations sullied by praise and analysis? Enjoy "My Story" while you still can... (No, I'm still not tired of this joke!)
Hen
Anonymous's picture
Talentless drivel! In my day, artists had to exhibit considerable skill and vision to get noticed - now it's all about shock value and being in Loaded. When will you people see that the Emperor has no clothes on? Another side effect of so called 'liberalism.'
Tony Cook
Anonymous's picture
Has anyone noticed the work of 'maistro' (sic). I think this may be a cry for help from our once minimalist genius.
Elfyn (Sleepy Head)
Anonymous's picture
My once good and prophesied “writings on the wall” are now being mocked. :-(
Rokkitnite
Anonymous's picture
Ah, the poisoned chalice of fame, Elfyn.
Topic locked