Show don't tell: confused!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Show don't tell: confused!

I am having trouble working out the difference between showing and telling. Was told that I was telling but when I looked out how to show the guidelines fitted the text I had written. Confused!

Maybe this will help, justint.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/show-dont-tell/

Rich

You learn something every day.  Cheers Rich. Kev

Parson Thru

You're both welcome. Hope you found it useful.

Rich

Show not tell?

It is up to the writer but I would be inclined to take this piece of writing lore with a pinch of salt!

I can understand that when one is describing a scene, for example a group of people at an outdoor barbeque it makes it more alive to give a descriptive image, for example in addition to me simply saying 'Gerry, Anna, Linds, Elaine and Jack enjoyed the friendly atmosphere of the barbeque. Time flies, they had last met up at Linds' 21st'  I could  also zoom in on some visual snapshots, maybe Linds'  bright lipstick, Jacks' paunch overspilling his shorts and his self-acceptance of this as he uncorks the fizzing bottle. But no, not always, it doesn't have to be this way and I would not feel that there is a right way of writing that I have to follow.

Dialogue can add zip and spin to a piece.  I could also, for example, have more than one narrator, one talking in a very flat voice, telling her tale in matter of fact words the other person telling her tale more vibrantly with vivid images that shows her open awareness to what is happening .

I see storytelling including poetry as a box of tricks for me to play with. Though what's in the stories matters too.

I could go on. And on... And I will shut up. I am not a professional writer and I am sure I am telling you stuff you know just to show off...

All the best     Elsie

This is handy as well:

http://writetodone.com/john-lecarre-show-not-tell/

I've just had a critique back from Lorraine this week. Well impressed with it.

I liked the Le Carre piece, it better illustrates show, don't tell. 

Rich

I can see that John Le Carre offers a more skilled example of showing than Elsie Katz! I might request him from the library.     Elsie