This Ought to Make All of Us Think!
I know we've covered this before, but once more it's reared its ugly head.
It seems that in America somewhere a stock clerk was sent to clean up a storeroom. And after he got back he was complaining that the storeroom was really filthy and that he'd noticed dried mouse or rat droppings in some areas. A couple of days later, he started to feel like he was coming down with the stomach flu. He complained of sore joints and headaches and began to puke up. He went to bed and never really got up again.
Within two days he was severely ill and weak. His blood sugar count was
down, and his face and eyeballs were yellow. He was rushed to hospital, where he was diagnosed to be suffering from massive organ failure. He died shortly afterwards.
No one would have made the connection between his job and his death, had it not been for a doctor who specifically asked if he had been in a warehouse exposed to dry rat or mouse droppings at any time.
You see there's a virus (much like Weil's disease) that lives in dried rat and mouse droppings. Once dried, these droppings are like dust and can easily be breathed in or ingested if a person does not wear full PPE or fails to wash face and hands thoroughly. An autopsy was performed on the clerk to verify the doctor's suspicions.
This is why it is extremely important to ALWAYS carefully rinse off the tops of canned drink or food such as baked beans, and to wipe off pasta packaging, because they have all been stored in a warehouse at one time or another, and stores themselves often have rodents.
Most of us remember to wash vegetables and fruit but never think of
boxes and cans. The ugly truth is that even the most modern, upper class,
super stores can have rats and mice. And their warehouses most assuredly
do! Whenever you buy any canned soft drink, it's good advise to wash the top with running water and soap or, if that is not available, drink through a straw.
The investigation of canned drinks by the Centre for Disease Control in
Atlanta, USA, discovered that the tops of cans can be encrusted with dried
rat's urine, which is so toxic it can be lethal. Canned drinks and other foodstuffs are stored in warehouses and containers that are usually
infested with rodents, and then they get transported to retail outlets without being properly cleaned.