Immortalise Your Words

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Immortalise Your Words

In the Rip-Off thread (Pot Pourri & Little Chef) below, Liana mentions Print-on-Demand as a rip off with the words, "Vanity publishing for the eternally deluded," and this got me thinking. I've a great deal of respect for Liana, indeed I think of her as a good friend, and I would certainly never disagree with the argument that the old style vanity publishing of fifteen, or even ten, years ago is a soul-destroying, manipulative way of relieving innocents of their money and dreams.

But, as many of you know, I see self-publishing as a different matter entirely. Indeed a few months ago I was commissioned by Binnacle Press to write an article on self-publishing in which I detailed my own experiences with what I hope is honesty and candour. (Binnacle Press is now temporarily offline, but I still have the article if anyone cares to read it).

My question here, however, is something slightly different. If we approach self-publishing with our eyes wide open; in other words realising that this isn't the route to to making fortunes on the bestseller lists, surely it's worth considering.

All of us like to see our words in print. Wouldn't it be fabulous to have our stories, our tales, our poetry, our novels, our diaries even, immortalised in the kind of foremat that can be kept and treasured? That our children and grandchildren can pick up and read? The kind of foremat that is a well-presented package that will stand the test of time?

I think it is, and with organisation such as PABD driving the cost of self-publishing down to next to nothing, surely it's worth considering. I'd be interested to hear how others feel about this. Self-publishing simply as a keepsake.

the POD people
Anonymous's picture
foremat - a place for foreplay, preferably with a doremat with a well-presented package. Binnacle is the new Bollocks. [%sig%]
Rokkitnite
Anonymous's picture
Sorry, Karl. I only posted PoD because I knew you'd started the thread. A cheeky attempt at getting a rise. ;o) I know you're a reasonable chap and far too sensible to react with anything other than good humour.
Topic locked