Moon

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moon

Anyone seen 'Moon'? (Writer/Director: Duncan Jones - out on DVD from Sony Classics) It's sci-fi but not brain-dead - not at all. I found it absolutely fascinating and do recommend it and just wonder if anyone, who may have come across it, has any views on it. It seems to have been strangely neglected by the literati. It has elements of '2001', but it has, in my view, the benefit of having been brave enough to appear maybe a touch derivative in order to stay focused on its theme/themes and authentic to itself. Maybe it's a bit of a guy's film - I'm not sure. Maybe it's a bit too clever for its own commercial good - I'm not sure. It's not too CGI either but uses model miniatures quite a lot. Just thought I'd give it a 'plug'.

I'm glad you've given it a rave review, I haven't seen it yet but have been wanting to for a while. An old school friend went to the same film academy as the director and apparently he's a really genuine guy. I think I remember the film getting a BAFTA or the director did? And it's got Sam Rockwell in it, I'm still trying to watch every single film he's ever been in. Also in terms of it not getting much attention, it was the same year as AVATAR OMG!!, so it probably got swept aside a bit by that. Anyway, I'll see if I can get my hands on Moon and when I do I'll get back to you.

ah, Moon was excellent. Really enjoyed it - bit different, very funny and also strangely moving. I heartily second the recommendation.
ah, Moon was excellent. Really enjoyed it - bit different, very funny and also strangely moving. I heartily second the recommendation.
Cheers to you both! Actually, I quite liked 'Avatar' *shame*blush* (Sort of the male, revamped-Disney-esque equivalent of 'Mamma Mia!' in a sort of a way! I can't believe I just said that ...candidate for the B_L prize)) Sam Rockwell is an amazing actor - incredibly gifted - and the Clint Mansell score is stunning. I agree it is moving - it kind of catches you from behind in a heartbreaking kind of a way. I actually spent the first twenty minutes watching it, thinking derivative bs, derivative c..p - but then radically changed my mind. JFR, I bought a copy of 'Moon' at random from Morrisons for a pricey;) 4 Monarchic credits, just in case you have a Morrisons near you, Maggy. Right, I'm off to do some cloning - oops - what a give-away!

Topic locked