Who's who?

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
Who's who?

When viewing these threads, it's seldom clear whether some conversations are being carried on by a dozen respondents or simply a handful using various aliases. Fair enough, but how many people actually contribute to the site under two or more names?
I've been told that there are eight hundred plus "contributors", but how many does that boil down to in practice? I'll freely admit to using a rather silly pseudonym and a false ID for my poetry, so that's one off the total for a start.
It's astonishing, when you think about it, how many writers on the site actually use joky names.. why? Is it because the very nature of the net encourages people to remain anonymous? Okay, I used a fresh ID because I'd not written a poem for thirty years and thought my efforts might be laughed off the site - in which case, I didn't want their true authorship known. In fact, I shot myself in the foot by doing it, because when I got lucky recently and was named "Writer of the Week", nobody knew who'd actually written my poems and there was no extra interest in them.
What excuses do other people have - and how many of you out there will admit to using two or more names?

(Sits back and waits for a barrage of false claims and counter-claims.)

jennifer
Anonymous's picture
I'm me - I write as myself, but then, when I read stuff I've written, sometimes I feel as if Something has written through me. Maybe it's just that I can empathise easily Or maybe there is some truth in the theory about recycling of souls.....
corner of the yard
Anonymous's picture
oh dear martin. you just lost your stash. perhaps you should read the forums more. regulars know who the masked man is. even those that don't know that Jake is never a 'proxy aol' man.
martin
Anonymous's picture
there seem to be several martins on this site....so I get confused....which martin am I ? I call myself mjt21 when posting, it's a nickname mu mother gave me to distinguish me from her other 27 children.
martin the only...
Anonymous's picture
i am not a regular. nor do i consider that to be a lack in any way, as for reading the forums more, err...am i supposed to forego some other part of my life in order to know who the masked man is..as if it matters...its just another line of text...and i have learnt nothing from it..so its redundant hurrah.... if only i could become a regular sigh and make like all you literararry glen rosses...with your secret handshandies and your obliviousness to your own receding influence on the world at large, as you succubus up to each other's tawdry concerns that are merely the ledgers of creative writing sums....dear oh dear. i lost my stash. and i am aloof. how superb. love you all martinxxx
corner of the yard
Anonymous's picture
No martin, I don't expect you to forego anything to pop in more than the twice daily visits we currently seem to get. I'm surprised you bother to grace us with your presence at all given the wonderousness of your other life. Yes, you are just another line of text, and frankly, my dear martin, I couldn't give a damn about you and your grandiose posts anymore. yours in a loofah, amen corner
Inkwell
Anonymous's picture
You're all mad...but I like you.
stuzzy marr
Anonymous's picture
Diff names wow, do poeple really do that?
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
I am Emily in the forums and only post here under my real name but use a different name to submit stories 'cos I work at ABCtales and wouldn't want any cries of foul play if I got cherry-picked
cpolito
Anonymous's picture
I am just cpolito for now because I am new and don't want to be distinguised as a male or female author.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I used to be Minnesota but the cold winters up in Duluth got the better of me so I went south. The weather down in Biloxi is much better and it's only a hundred or so miles from New Orleans, the city of my happiest days.
HRM Aphrodite
Anonymous's picture
same here cpolito except that I'm old and don't want to be extinguished.
John Lewis
Anonymous's picture
I'm me, christian name and surname intact and unaltered. Although having the same name all my life doesn't by any means mean I'm the same person I was twenty years ago. Or even twenty minutes ago for that matter. Who once said 'You can't stand in the same river twice?' Answers please on a postcard. No alarms and no surprises, John L. :-)
spag man
Anonymous's picture
I always use spag in my posts . Well, in some form or other.
johnny stringer
Anonymous's picture
oh really? I love you guys. mwah. xxxx
auntie jackie
Anonymous's picture
Hi, It is me. Who is me? I am me. Gasp!! Or is that spag?? Hi Missi, glad you're back, missed ya. AJ :>(
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Well thank you very much my dear, I missed you too.
jennifer
Anonymous's picture
What do you mean, you can't stand in the same river twice? Explain this peculiar quote please!!
robert
Anonymous's picture
i believe it's an indian proverb: you can never enter the same river twice. nice, isn't it?
jennifer
Anonymous's picture
Errrr - doesn't make sense to me - used to take my horse in the same river all the time!!
andrea
Anonymous's picture
Perhaps it should have read 'You SHOULDN'T stand/step in the same river twice' Makes perfect sense to me...(having stepped in too many rivers far too many times).
Baby Lon
Anonymous's picture
that explains everything then jen. did you make it drink?
Sid Arthur
Anonymous's picture
According to the Rig Veda it is not possible to enter the same river twice. A river flows, the water moves on. The water that you waded in on your first visit is not the water that you wade in on the second visit.
iFB
Anonymous's picture
mercifully in some cases ...
jennifer
Anonymous's picture
No, I didn't make him drink - but he had fun splashing up the water with his hooves until we were both soaking wet!!
robert
Anonymous's picture
what a good and interesting point, jennifer some of these so-called proverbs just don't stand up to scrutiny, do they? i read a piece the other day which included the more modern proverb "you can never go back home". never read such nonsense; if i don't back home at least once a fortnight my mum has a fit!!
odd verb
Anonymous's picture
oh I disagree entirely. I once held a bird in my hand. but she preferred...
John L
Anonymous's picture
Jenny, Sorry I missed your question about 'You ca't stand in the same river twice.' Made this careless comment then just kind of went away and stood in the same river I'd been standing in only the day before. I've now started a new thread about all this called, by an amazing coincidence (which incidenetally I don't believe in) 'You can't stand in the same river twice' in the 'discussions on ABC writing section. Sorry I took so long to get back to you but , like I said, I've been v. bust doing a spot of river-standing. Let me know what you reckon. John.
Wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
Roy, I am Wolfgirl but I do admit to also being Common As Muck once or twice. Generally though, I am me. I too would like to know who various people are, simply because I am too stupid to work it out for myself. Yes, the Internet does seem to encourage people to create new identities, to build more heroic and less flawed lives than their actual humdrum existences. A spotty 14 year old can become an enterpreneur called Clive, a vertically-challenged lady can become a long-legged Dutch Beauty. And so forth. It's Fantasy Island. Names are an extention of this. I am Wolfgirl because I love the species and I'm female. Eric has already outed me though and I'm actually Julia. So Roy I am Julia. Nice to meet you.
iFB
Anonymous's picture
i am only me and sometimes i am me and llama ..
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I am me, though sometimes I will admit to being other aliases, however they are always easily recognisable as me. You can often guess who people are, just by the tag at the end of their names, though some people share the same, eg. Mississippi and Dave Randall, are both World Online, Eddie and Ivoryfishbone are both proxy aol.com. People often mix Stormy and I as our servers are more or less the same: ntl, and we both tend to use large gaps between sentences. You can always spot Eric, as it usually mentions an apostrophe error sooner or later. :o) It's often easy to see instantly who is who, simply by language or style used. Most of the who have aliases, usually drop a few clues - after all, thats half the fun!
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
I've decided to become the long-legged Dutch beauty mentioned above. Nope, I've only ever been 'Andrea' and, boringly enough, it's what I was christened. A sad lack of imagination (or the fact that I don't consider my life 'humdrum') possibly prevents me from inventing amusing aliases. Some of them are truly clever, though and raise many a chuckle. (And yes, I know who you are, folks!) Oh, and I'm not *seriously* vertically challenged...
curua
Anonymous's picture
I was Roy Bell until Liana made me kill him *sob*...
Wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
I was not suggesting for a nanosecond that anyone here led humdrum lives. There is sometimes a hum of literate activity and a drum or two in the way of bongos. (You know who you are) However, humdrum? Perish the thought!
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
I know you weren't, Wolfie, no offense intended, I'm sure...
Liana Hemmett Pysch.
Anonymous's picture
And very proud I am too of you Curua. Take deep breaths now, and the misery will pass.
Gabrielle
Anonymous's picture
I very ocassionally use an alias on the discussion threads but as Liana says it is often possible to guess at who people are - I write as Gabrielle only. It's my second name. I don't want to be anonymous I want to be known (just a little - not famous you understand but at least to find my name once in 'Books in Print'.)
stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
only 'write' under above user name and real name has always been on the site. as for the threads...... lost track of all the names I've used. you do realise that liana doesn't exist don't you? I discovered an archaeologist on the site last night. only dedicated forum users will discover those posts though.
in tent
Anonymous's picture
This a thread that got woven into another garment, interlocking names to enslave brothers and dupe fathers! Just trying to...name a few who I have surfed with ever in the world.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I'll remember I dont exist when its my round next Saturday then Stormy :o)
Wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
Perhaps there is only one person manipulating the whole site. Perhaps a person with a multiple personality disorder and a feverish imagination, talking to themselves wildly as they log on frantically under different names. It's a little like Psycho. Helpletmeouttahere
David Taub
Anonymous's picture
I thought about that, Wolfie, then tried to figure out how you managed to send me a magazine from the UK to here in the US if we are all one person and presumably in one place??? I have enough problems using just one name, one email address, one website, etc., without resorting to pen-names, pseudo names, etc. If, however, Wolfie is right... I am typing this message to myself!!!!
David Taub
Anonymous's picture
I thought about that, Wolfie, then tried to figure out how you managed to send me a magazine from the UK to here in the US if we are all one person and presumably in one place??? I have enough problems using just one name, one email address, one website, etc., without resorting to pen-names, pseudo names, etc. If, however, Wolfie is right... I am typing this message to myself!!!!
David Taub
Anonymous's picture
Wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
What magazine David? Is there only one or three of you? This is getting quite spooky and that's the reason I have given up writing horror stories. I scare the s*** out of myself. (Teeth chattering, retires to a insomniac night)
Masked Man
Anonymous's picture
This is The Masked Ball. Does it really matter who is who? People bleat about people revealing themselves, owning up, as if there were some virtue in removing one mask to reveal another. I am an Eskimo. I write under my pseudonym 'Innuit'. I have witten thirty poems about snow. I had to travel fifty miles across the ice to a cyber cafe in Anchorage to post my poems. I make this trek each day to appear in the threads as 'The Iceman Cometh'. Does this confession enlighten anyone? The Forums are a playground. We are here to entertain. Don't ask for whom the Self Trolls: It trolls for free.
mercurial herma...
Anonymous's picture
i could not believe the last post, alluding to the idea that revelation was somehow " removing one mask to reveal another " that's scary. i get the impression that the author of that sociopathic little number has " issues " which may prevent them from forming credible relationships in which a level of openness is established. in my experience people who display a neuroses characterised by " masks " are genuinely engrossed in a morbid fear that the quivering embryonic ego they possess is somehow too fragile, painfully vulnerable, to withstand public exposure.. which for a writer could be an advantage, although i would gladly never write another word again rather than suffer such a bleak and damaged perspective.. as for who i am . i am martin. i am steven berkoff. i got confused over which name to put in the form. it was an accident, who i am sorry martin steven berkoff love you all xxx
dark glasses
Anonymous's picture
i think the masked man was merely pointing out that it is not necessary to know the identity if the contributors in order to enjoy the threads...or if he wasn't, i am now i suspect that the masked man may be responsible for some of the most entertaining posts there have been...a sign of humility perhaps?
martin of the yard
Anonymous's picture
i deduce, my whiskered chums, that the masked man is mister kane. i am not able, at this present time, to adequately describe how i arrived at this conclusion, but i stake my career as the yard's finest alcoholic cocaine fiend obese partially sighted detective, on the slender chance, that i might be right.. love you all martin xxxx
Microchrist
Anonymous's picture
I am always me until I start to type this stuff and then I become Microchrist. I have other "noms de guerre" but I dare not speak them on this forum.
Topic locked