'Nice' = a term of abuse?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
'Nice' = a term of abuse?

This week, I met with a very old friend that I hadn't seen for twenty years. At sixteen, I very much wanted him as a boyfriend. He devestated me by telling me that all those years ago, I was just 'too nice'. I felt as if I had slapped and he might as well have told me that I had foul breath. I suddenly thought of the 'treat 'em mean' maxim and realised that I have never been able to do it. Why are rotters so appealing and what does the word 'nice' mean to you? Help me someone. I don't want to be nice.....

CMEast
Anonymous's picture
The worst thing ever is when you get ah's and aw's. I hate them with a passion because it guarentees your not gonna get anywhere with them. Think about it, you've just done something for someone and instead of them using it as an excuse to talk to you, to thank you, to show that you are in their good books they simply say 'aawwwwww' and then you know your up a creek without a paddle. Its kinda the ultimate version of the word sweet which, as someone (/me checks above, Andrew Pack, got it)... as Mr Pack metioned earlier, is not good. I say the ultimate version because the 'ah'er is so overwhelmed by your complete unsuitability for sex that they cant actually speak in whole sentances. BTW, Laziness is not a bad thing, in actual fact its one of my greatest virtues because as every one knows (once they have met me), laziness leads to efficiency.
Wolfgirl
Anonymous's picture
I understand the strange logic behind laziness = efficiency. Many corners are cut to achieve things in the minimum amount of time. I never iron for example. Collars and cuffs if we're lucky. You see, Fishbone's advice on sluttishness is reaping rewards. Is a fag in the mouth, a bottle of whiskey in a tatty housecoat and a defiantly neglected runny nose very far away? Wait until I see my friend again....he will boil with desire...he never realised the seething bad girl within.... (Who are you trying to kid? -mother)
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
*wonders what collars and cuffs are*
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Anyone got a spare paddle?
CMEast
Anonymous's picture
Try simply living in a dressing gown, works for me :)
fish
Anonymous's picture
never fear wolfie ... you just need to get in touch with your horrible side ... then when you have done that you turn your horrible traits into your virtues ... you lie around being idle for example and then you tell entertaining tales about how idle you are ... this works for other things too ... such as sluttery ... egotism ... the works ... boastfully announce that your ego is second only to the great wall of china for visibility from space ... eat chocolate in company loudly smacking your lips and not offering it round ... when you have guests lie on the sofa and say "you know where the kettle is ..." (all above taken from ivoryfishbone's Handy Guide to Being Bad) let me know how you get on ...
dr togas
Anonymous's picture
aw. you two are just SO nice. :) smileys for you... :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Fish - surely sluttery is a good thing? At least most of the blokes I know seem to think so...
sad trog
Anonymous's picture
tell me about the 'sluttery'.
grot ads
Anonymous's picture
fark, i just emailed some one about their (there?) work and said "nice one". the shame.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
wouldnt be offended it you wanted to do it to me storms....
Liana
Anonymous's picture
*almost immediately spots error of last post*
fish
Anonymous's picture
am reliably informed that being called "sweet" is the worst thing for a man ... is this true?
pert my trols
Anonymous's picture
knowing that trogs fancy trolls I thought I would revert to this old nanogram. does that mean I have told said author that their work was an abusive one? or, your tits are the most abusive I have ever had the pleasure of tying up? pass me my coat trog.
pert my trols
Anonymous's picture
not had an offer etc etc etc .... ......years
fish
Anonymous's picture
*consults pert my trols handy demystifier*
stormy (new)
Anonymous's picture
fish, yes. 2 sugars La Phr ec xx
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
...and slippers, Fishcake just LOVES slippers...
da grots
Anonymous's picture
nice thread
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Sweet is not good for a man - worse is, "Aw, you're like my little brother". (either are very good code for someone you wish to discourage gently from pursuing you. Oddly, "I don't think of you that way" is not, because it hints that you might, if only the thought was put into your mind...) Nice is a very misused word, it has practically become a way of saying politely that you don't like something (everyone having cottoned onto the fact that if someone says your new haircut is "different" that they think Medusa's style was more appealing). One of those words that is worth looking up in a big dictionary, the range of definitions is astonishing; my favourite being precise, accurate. I am surprised to find men using nice in this sense, a lot of men go for nice girls. Nice boys, however, sit around waiting for the women to realise that you can't really change a bad guy.
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
Regarding the original question, I think if this guy thought you were too nice at sixteen what he meant was that he liked you but thought he wouldn't get anywhere with you sexually. At that age he was looking for sexual experience, not a mate for life (probably). I don't think you should take that comment as an insult, especially for a sixteen year old. In a way, he's putting himself down. Now, if someone said that about you as an adult, I would probably say it was a veiled insult of some kind, but it would be such a stupid thing for one adult to say about another adult, I would just figure the guy was a nitwit and move on. For my own part, I am utterly repulsed by women who flounce around acting deliverately obnoxious and brazen in an effort to attract attention and show everyone how "strong" they are. For me this is the equivalent of a bunch of 3 year olds standing in a sandbox mooning the old lady next door. It's amusing the first time, maybe for 10 seconds, but it quickly becomes a great bore. It also has nothing to do with strength. As for the world "sweet," if someone calls me sweet and we're already in bed, that's good. If we're talking on the telephone and the word "sweet" is followed by a comma and the word "but," that's not good. Just as in real estate, the important thing about a word is "location, location, location." Anyway, to say that "nice" can be a term of abuse is giving it too much credit. It can be a way of exiting an uncomfortable situation or subject without being abusive, but I wouldn't call it abusive in itself.
Tom Saunders
Anonymous's picture
Oh, I bloody long for nice. Long for it. Everyone has attitude now and you can't move for people elbowing you in the face. *says this with snugly slippered feet and the sound of strings playing sweetly (yes, sweetly) in the background*
1legspider
Anonymous's picture
I am a very very nice man
aridayle
Anonymous's picture
but how nice?
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Calling a man sweet ain't the worst thing Alison! The worst thing is being called 'history'.
fish
Anonymous's picture
awwww ... missi ...
Mykle
Anonymous's picture
To get back to the original topic he probably meant he thought you were too nice for making Whoopee - the rest is a mixture of insecurity and paranoia! It's just that you're so nice nobody wants to tell you that :-)
Topic locked