shirt outside of trousers

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
shirt outside of trousers

Does anyone have any views on what the rules are for a man wearing his shirt outside of his trousers? Is there some sort of unspoken age limit on this? And on what occasions can you do this?

To be specific can a male over 40 do this at work, during a presentation to a bunch of people who he knows for certain are very informal (though he hasn't met them before)?

Jay
Anonymous's picture
Pioden so sorry your life is not to your liking at the moment and sincerely hope that changes much sooner than later in the mean time we will!spend time in the wayside as I think it will do us both a power of good so all we have to do now is give it some thought as to when. xxxxx...
Tony Cook
Anonymous's picture
If you have a belly like mine then you wear your shirt out whenever you can.
Rachel
Anonymous's picture
My opinion, for what it's worth, is shirt with tie, in trousers, shirt without tie, outside trousies. Y Fronts should be tucked in the duster drawer and never referred to in polite company, Mr. Shirt.
Pioden
Anonymous's picture
I want to know what dublindian did - did you wear it out or in for the presentation?
ely whitley
Anonymous's picture
shirt inside trousers if formal, out if not. Anyone who turns up in a formal situation with a tie on but can't be bothered tucking his shirt in then he shouldn't be let in the door.
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Never AT work. If you wear your shirt tucked in outside work, you are either Jeremy Clarkson or Ken Barlow. Unless you are wearing a jumper, in which case it is acceptable to tuck in the shirt, but not the jumper. Trust me, I'm a fashion victim.
dublindian
Anonymous's picture
I erred on the side of caution, pioden, and wore it inside. It was an all day event so I took an identical spare shirt along and changed into it halfway through (discreetly) to minimise any bio-embarrassment. It seemed to go well, so hopefully no one was too bothered about my mode of dress. Thanks for asking.
Sirren
Anonymous's picture
no stop being a slob and tuck it in. you can't wear those white socks with those black shoes either.
Pioden
Anonymous's picture
and remember to wear your tie correctly knotted into your collar with no sign of that top button - it should not be hanging down your back nor half way down the front and remove all signs of breakfast - no toast crumbs are allowed and as for ketchup marks well they are a no no just a eggy stains are as unsightly and if you must wear those trousers with turnups please ensure that you you remove anything that may just have lodged there whilst you were fooling around in the bedroom and may sure that you have no creases in them which may give the impression that you went to bed in them last night and always check your pockets just in case you get caught out - I mean sticking ladies undies in them for safe keeping is one thing but pulling them out in front of a whole crowd of strangers is another thing altogether and about your belt - do not pull it in so tight- thinking that it will make you look smaller or will hold in your ... it wont it just goes to show it more and if you must wear those stupid white M&S underpants that they are below your tucked in shirt and not sticking out between your shirt and the top of your trousers and oh dear .... think I may have got a bit carried away
stephen
Anonymous's picture
I would wear it outside trousers. This to me spells confidence. It sounds like in your situation it would be OK. As for the man over 40s bit. Nowadays age means nothing you can be a hip 40 year old and dress in whatever style you want.
Tara
Anonymous's picture
My mother-in-law is always tucking my kids' t-shirts inside their trousers, but I insist they wear them OUTSIDE ...
Stephen Gardiner
Anonymous's picture
As an acknowledged authority on shirts and the correct wearing thereof, I can advise that shirts can be worn outside the trousers by anybody not older that I am, but only if the vest underneath is tucked securely into the Y-fronts. Braces are optional.
Jay
Anonymous's picture
Do give Mr S Gardiner whoever he may be a bouquet "Such authority" but think I have heard he's the one who wears those trendy shirts that everyone adores...
dublindian
Anonymous's picture
Some of you have already met me it seems. Stephen G: you can't wear a vest in this weather! Now I'm more confused than ever. Thanks anyway.
jude
Anonymous's picture
shirt outside trousers...not unless you are under 30 and from Essex geezer.
Pioden
Anonymous's picture
I just though of something that might help you more during this heat ... wear a kilt be brave and wear nothing underneath I am only being practical nothing more Jay we haven't been into the wayside for ages - we really must go soon - special now I'm stuck where I am for a while
radionudestcamp
Anonymous's picture
Gosh, I can't help you a bit there Dub..., I hardly ever wear a shirt. I say dress as you like. If somebody is uncomfortable with it, it is their problem, unless they threaten to fire you from your job over it, in which case, bend to meet the needs. (dual meaning thingy there btw...)
dublindian
Anonymous's picture
Americans tend to be a little less formal than we Brits I think Radio, so we have to be a lot more careful about these things. Deep inside of me there's an American trying to get out. And if he did he'd vote to get rid of George Dubya.
dublindian
Anonymous's picture
Trouble with kilts pioden is I get sunburned very easily in the lower regions. Can't even wear shorts. Which is a shame for the world, because I've got a great pair of legs.
sabelle
Anonymous's picture
Unless ur on a football pitch the shirt should be inside. I'm 4eva tucking in my son's shirt. If it's a t shirt then outside
Topic locked