memories from Scotland in the nineteen twenties

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
memories from Scotland in the nineteen twenties

My sister and I found some written stories and reminiscences in our fathers effects some time ago, some years after he died. He was ann engineer, not an author, although we found some stories and memories he had written down in his last years, about the people he met when he was first searching for a job in NE Scotland just after WW 1. They are written in the local dialect (Doric) and although just translatable to modern ears, do contain the flavour of times now past. If anybody is interested in writing about that time and area, perhaps I can supply some facts (in English) from the stories we found.

richardw
Anonymous's picture
just translatable to modern ears? i'll have you know that scots language apart from gaelic hasn't changed much since the twenties, or since the reformation most likely! :)
auntie jackie
Anonymous's picture
Hi John, I am Scottish and proud of it. I originate from Edinburgh, I was born in Musselburgh. I have lived in England for 32 years and I am married to an English man, (although his descendants are purported to be of Scottish origin) he denies this of course!! I would be honoured to see anything that you have, as I am extremely interested in history both English and Scottish. AJ :>) PS My father and mother were both born in the twenties.
Oor Billy
Anonymous's picture
erm, would that be because you've lived through most of history, Auntie Jackanory?
fergus cooney
Anonymous's picture
Hi - just thought I'd let you know of some writing in scots (well, my version...bastardised, possibly) on abctales. I'm ferguswergus on the site. Cheers... fergus
Eddie Gibbons
Anonymous's picture
Hello John, You could also try the Local History Department at Aberdeen Central Library. The University has a writer in residence who may be of assistance. There are several Writers' groups in the city who may be willing to help. Try the Lemon Tree Writers c/o The Lemon Tree, West North St. Good luck with your project.
richardw
Anonymous's picture
never knew the lemon tree had its own writers circle. one of my friends is writer in residence of the wodka bar :O)
auntie jackanory
Anonymous's picture
Hey Oor Billy!! Forget the thread ye silly wee buggar, and there wis me thinkin yer wis a real Scotsman!! Hummph, Scotland must be gittin' real awfie, if that's the best ye can dae son. I dinnae want to ken the likes of you, yer nothin' but a wee bairn!! Ps I apologise to John, if he wisnae the author, cried Oor Billy. However if he wis, I stand by the above. AJ
Topic locked