Too Much Hype

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Too Much Hype

I recently read "We The Animals" by Justin Torres and was left dumbfounded at all the praise this writer has been given for a collection of what they're calling short stories, but are in fact a collection of flimsy narratives. This isn't the first time this has happened to me. Last year all the hype was laid on Miranda July's crappy collection of short stories "No One Belongs Here More Than You." Before that it was Junot Diaz's Drown. Having grown up on the work of really talented writers, it seems that the real talent in literature lies in the PR department and how many shiny lies they can spin about the talent of some so called writer. I can accept music being crap these days, along with movies, and art, but not literature. I love it too much. Writers like Conroy, Salinger, Baldwin, seemed to posses an almost super human ability to write, weaving one gorgeous paragraph after the other. Now all we have is a growing list of mediocre practitioners whose success hinges on how well they are are marketed. Have any of you read a published authors work and thought: "I can do better." That's exactly how I feel after having read that lousy book by Justin Torres,

Agree absolutely, msvynyl. It's really depressing. Having read good books throughout my life too (tried to, that is... I have read many bad ones as well) it isn't that difficult to spot quality in writing, and equally, crap writing that has broken through as a result of clever marketing, and I include most of the books on the stand that claim to be 'a best seller' (my God, there are hundreds of them). They either irritate you with their convoluted prose and plot, or leave you totally empty and wanting, and sometimes both. Yuk! Good post. Trev

TVR

I have certainly read stuff that I thought I could do better than, although whether I actually could is another thing entirely. I read a book a couple of years ago that was actually a good idea about getting the ability to get into people's brains and have a look around in their subconscious and control them as well, but it was spoiled by some really clunky writing and unconvincing dialogue. I was surprised a decent editor didn't sort it out. Can't remember the name of the book now. Having said that, it's all quite subjective as I liked a lot of Miranda July's short stories, but I think she is a tad Marmite-esque and you will either love her or think she's a talentless loon. It's a fine line!
Seriously I spotted a golden feather on the edge of the concrete platform, waiting for me, while I was waiting for the train. I thought of a joke, about rats devouring an entire golden pigeon—but there was no one around to share the joke with. What utter bilge

You've actually made me want to read this Justin Torres book now! But I'll be borrowing it from the library (saw it there yesterday), not paying actual money for it! And Stan, I'm with you on the David Mitchell thing! I ploughed through Cloud Atlas at the end of last year, to see what all the fuss was about. I think it's often a case of The Emperor's New Clothes. Nobody's brave enough to say 'This is a load of pretentious crap'.

The worst book I ever read was by Danielle Steele, I can't remember what it was called. I only struggled through it to see what all the hype was about and because my mum thought it was brill. It was sheer dross, and I wouldn't wipe my arse on anything she has written. A close second has to be Dan Brown's 'The Da Vinci Code,' and I read that for the same reason I read Steele's book. The Da Vinci Code is more or less a vast ream of research crudely tacked on to a lame conspiracy theory that was old hat long before Brown's greedy eyes settled on it. That wasn't so much of a let down as the oh so predictable formula, though. It's all bam bam bam, action action action, read this, quick, you twat, and immediately get on to the next dollop of shit. And in my humble opinion the suspense we were promised isn't really suspense because it's too predictable (unless, of course, you're completely unfamiliar with the conspiracy stuff on which the book so heavily relies). As if that isn't enough, the characters are tacky and lacking depth and all more or less the same, and it looks to me like the character notes were written on the inside of a fag packet in the pub, late at night after a dozen or so pints of Stella and a Chicken Vindaloo. Except, of course, for the fact that the dude played by Tom Hanks in the film wears a Mickey Mouse watch. Big deal.
Loads of people on this site, given the opportunity, I am sure could do better than much of the stuff published these days. It's so hard to get publishers interested in new work - unless you happen to be a duchess or footballer or better still a topless model. In fact, as in most walks of life these days, success amounts to 'it's not what you know, it's who you know'. Linda

Linda

Absolutely, Linda. You've only got to win Big Brother or have a six week run in Eastenders and a publisher will bring your book out overnight like magic. And they're very likely ghost-written anyway. All you need is a well-known face. Any jobs for ghostwriters going?

TVR

How does one go about becoming a topless model these days? I ask purely out of idle curiosity.
Looks like I'll have to get my titties out then, but they're not much cop.
I don't care, I'd still like to play with them. I've never felt a Walrus's titties before. Yum-yum!

TVR

I'll soon be posting a story especially for your elucidation involving sexually attractive walrus (amongst other things), Sue. I just need to finish editing one of my more traditional tales first, because I haven't posted any 'normal' stuff yet. And then, after I've lulled this unsuspecting world into a false sense of security, I shall unleash my poetry.....
I'm all agog, I can't wait.

TVR

O dear I seem to have started something here. I should like to point out that I am not nor have I ever been a topless model (as far as I can remember anyway). Could be the way forward though..... Linda

Linda

Topic locked