Alice Munro wins Nobel

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alice Munro wins Nobel

Couldn't have happened to a better writer. I don't know if short story writers have ever won this before. 

I can't stand Alice Munro. Italo Calvino wrote 6 memos to the New Millenium. That's what writing should aim for. 

Well I've no intention to be at odds but I agree with Blighters; a worthy winner and all the better for the baggage.  Opinions are subjective (obviously) I'm happy with this announcement.

Couldn't agree more about Calvino. His 'Numbers in the Dark' was an absolute blinder, easily on par with Mc Ewan's 'First love, last Rites'. Munro's genius is that she can tap into the mind of a (usually desperate) woman's mind in an instant. She gets into the belly of life. Her's is a slow-moving squelch of relationship-gunk mixed with dishwater desperation and stoutly sniffed resignation, but she still manages to get a good, subliminal message in there, even if I never understand it. If I was a woman, I'm sure I'd get a lot more out of her work.

You do make me laugh Blighters - you're so quaint and pre-Feminist!  I'm ashamed to say I haven't yet read the Alice Munro book someone gave me for my birthday, but I think it's great for short story writers and female writers that she won the Nobel golden cherries.

Alice Munro is the reason I'm a short story writer.  Probably not a particularly good one, but definitely a short story writer, not a wannabe novelist.