Internet Expo

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Internet Expo

All being well, and based on past history, there should be some terminals at the Internet Expo at Earls Court which I am going to today. I hope to post some opinions about what I find, assuming I can get online there. :)

iceman

justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
I went to the expo today. Well, I've been to about two dozen such exhibitions in the past three years, so it was a bit old, frankly. The highlight, however, was my short conversation with the charming Elizabeth (ref above) at the Online Content UK stand. This sounds like a very good group, especially for those of us (ie me) who are, or want to become, involved with providing online content (hopefully for pay one day). They have monthly networking/social events and seminars from time to time, and a mailling list for discussions. I filled out the form and signed up. Thanks Emily for the tip. I might have missed the stand otherwise.
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
Don't count on it. Earls Court is in the Dark Ages.
Ari
Anonymous's picture
Bring back a codpiece, Iceman
Stephen Gardiner
Anonymous's picture
Let me know what it's like Iceman. I'm going tomorrow or Thursday so you can tell me what to look out for.
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
You can have lunch at the Troubador, which is not far from Earls Court. It has some literary pretensions, but basically they offer a very good all day breakfast. This is supposedly where bob dylan first sang his songs in London.
iceman
Anonymous's picture
I am using the service at the clara.net stand, there are quite a few stands here with lots of freebies. There is also a bif Macromedia stand if you want to see the new MX stuff in action. Quite a few competitions as well. Check out the showguide, it has a wrapper which should get you a useful dufflebag for stuff, many pens and free coffee and soft drinks. Probably worth going. The Pocket PC area is a bit small and not much going on there. iceman :)
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
I think I'll go tomorrow. Is anyone giving away software?
HoxtonSven
Anonymous's picture
If you're definitely going tomorrow JT let em know, I haven't decided on wednesday or thursday yet.
HoxtonSven
Anonymous's picture
and after you let em know, let me know :)
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Check out the Online Content UK stand. My mate Elizabeth runs it. Fingers will be helping man the stand tomorrow and I'll be helping woman it on Thursday.
HoxtonSven
Anonymous's picture
*now leaning toward thursday*
Stephen Gardiner
Anonymous's picture
Keep yer head down and yer skirts up Em. Hox on a lean ain't sopretty.
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
I'll probably go on Weds. Thurs is no good for me.
iceman
Anonymous's picture
I spoke to Liz on the Online Content UK stand, chatted about discussion boards, agreed that Yahoo groups have too much advertorial stuff and mentioned my discussionboard at snapjack.net/phpBB2, which is for fans of Black Books. I also registered as a full member and have just applied to joing the Yahoo group using my Black Books group moderator id. She was there with a colleague but I didn't get her name. Have checked out the web site which is very fast given that it is laid out simply with no unnecessary items. Straightforward in fact. The only software they are giving away is trials of well known products such as Dreamweaver. There is a chaepo software stand selling OEM software such as Corel Draw 8 for under £20. And Norton stuff too. My lunch cost £9.40 and was spent in the company (by accident) of Paragon Publishing editorial and advertising team. iceman
Topic locked