Putter in or taker out

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Putter in or taker out

This is more a response to, or a continuation of the thread 'Chocolate' started by Hen on the writing from abc board.

Here I am sitting at my desk munching lunch and reading Prospect when the following paragraph by Kate Jennings grabs my eye:

"Putters-in and takers-out is as good a way as any to classify novelists. Putters in: writers who pile on atmosphere, adjectives and argument, who share with their readers all their thoughts and research, who follow storylines like a dog on the loose. Takers-out: writers who fiddle every word, who know exactly what Samuel Johnson meant when he said that when you think you've written a particularly fine passage, strike it out."

Quite a good little article and one which comes down on the side of the takers-out.

Hwyl!

chant
Anonymous's picture
nice quote, Jon. i think putters in are really just people who require a good editor. most of the time, they don't get one these days though, because publishing companies don't have the time they used to. (another myth about capitalism improving things goes quietly to its grave). putters in... and i am thinking of Zadie Smith. takers out... and i am thinking of Dennis Cooper.
jonsmalldon
Anonymous's picture
Zadie's second book was one the examples Kate jennings gave... I think I it was also used by Terrence Blacker in the Independent as an example of a good book in need of a trim ...
Topic locked