Helter Skelter

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Helter Skelter

Following the demise of 'Compendium' in Camden High Street a couple of years ago it's now the turn of 'Helter Skelter' in Denmark Street to close it's doors. For many years it's been the best music bookshop in London, Foyles, Borders and Blackwells just 150yds away in Charing Cross Road never came within a mile of stocking the stuff that HS did. I made my last visit there today to see what gems I could grab in their closing sale, (they close for good on Saturday 8th). Sadly most of the stock has already gone but I did manage to get a copy of the Al Stewart biography I've had my eyes on ever since it's publication 18mths ago. The reason I didn't buy it earlier was because it was priced at £25 and I baulk at anything over £15. Anyway they have reduced everything they have left by up to 50% and I got a copy for £12.50. It occurred to me on the train home that the fare cost me £12.40!

Flash
Anonymous's picture
I can get any book through my work for significant discount, last book i got was a Time Atlas......£30 retail i got it for £17ish.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Flashy, I doubt whether your work could get a lot of the books they stocked. You see they were the sole importers of a lot of American books and didn't distribute them to other outlets. It was purely a music book shop anyway, which is why it was located in Denmark St.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Sorry they can't get any book but they will try. I must stop telling fibs.
Topic locked