Brand or No-brand

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brand or No-brand

I've heard a number of talks recently from several people who have some justified criticism of modern culture but some not so. I agree with the sentiment that the concept of 'Baby Gap' and the cost of the clothing is obscene given how fast the kids are growing. But I objected to the slating of branded trainers. Whenever somebody wants to criticise 'peer pressure' fashion victimisation and superficiality they use the example of teenagers having to have the 'right' trainers. Now when I was at school, you could get a pair of quality Gola trainers which would do the job but damage your reputation beyond repair. Or you could be with the cool and get a pair of Nike Air Max for £65 which in 1988 was a fair wedge of cash.

In my adulthood, I no longer give a flying f*** what people think of my shoes but the cheaper brands - Gola, Dunlop and Puma have re-ignited their brands as retro-cool anyway.

The only option for a cheap pair of trainers are the really crap ones you get from shoe emporium for a tenner. As well as being bloody ugly these will fall apart and are made of cheap materials which don't allow your feet to breath,so whilst you return from your little jog around the block feeling proud of having defeated the big nasty sports-clothes-giants, your family aren't going to be too impressed by the fact that your feet smell like two ripe Camembert.

I don't brand-worship but neither do I brand-despise...both I think are equally unpleasant. Mr No-Label irritates me just as much as Mr Kappa.

Does anybody share my sentiments? Or am I wrong because I do know that sometimes that can happen!

* ...I no longer give a flying f*** ... * The airport crisis CAN'T last forever....can it?

ha yes...boom boom jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Am I the only guy here who has never owned a pair of trainers?

So have you never played any sport since plimsoll days at school? jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

I don't own a pair of trainers, and havent for many years.

Yes, I used to play squash up until arthritus got me, ( and played football as a younger man). But I wore tennis shoes not trainers, and I only wore those whilst playing. What I meant was I have never owned/worn trainers, and never worn sports footware other than when participating in the appropriate sport, ie on the street.

Are you talking about sneakers? Nowadays with sneakers the more expensive are often the best, they last longer and are better for the foot. While at one level more comfortable, they also keep the foot in as good a state as they can. While still not an ideal state, we have to recognise some people will wear sneakers throughout much of their adult life.
My current 'trainers' are brown and were not made in a global brand sweatshop... they were made in a Portuguese sweat shop. Which is alright, because we all hate Ronaldo.
God, I've just laughed at something joe_novak said! Who woulda thunk... I agree with Jude, I s'pose: I *do* buy certain brands, especially of shoes, because they are guaranteed to be well-made and last a long time. I live in Clarks shoes; I don't mind that they are a little more costly than those at Mr. Shoes because I'll get my money's worth. I gave up on cheap 'non-brand-shoes years ago, and my feet have thanked me in their own way. For other clothes, I don't usually buy things full-price, and don't mind charity shopping: sometimes at the Oxfam on Bridge Street I can find 'designer' clothing at a quarter of the cost. I *do* like Gap trousers (and so will look for them secondhand at the above-mentioned Oxfam) as I am built funny and Gap seem to be the only brand that fits me every time. But I'm not obsessed with either having a brand or having a 'non-brand-. I just wear whatever fits, and whatever is on sale. I love sneakers/trainers, and have been looking for some new ones; I can't seem to justify paying 60 smackers for them, however, if I'm only going to wear them to be fashionable. I _do_ need a new pair of trail runners, as well, for non-fashion purposes; again, the price is off-putting.
I recall buying a pair of addidas in about 1977. They were brown leather, nothing fancy. I bought them because they looked like the kind of shoes men wore in the gym and boxing ring around the time of Oscar Wilde. I caught a lot of flack at the time: "Oh look..ha ha ha...you would be the one to find a pair of leather gymn shoes! What century were they made? ha ha ha" But they lasted about 20 years, so I got my money's worth. Then the whole industry turned 'fancy schmancy' and I lost interest--not to mention that the quality went down as the price went up. I don't jog. I just like comfortable shoes. As for the broader point: I rarely buy any clothes off the rack. I buy the material and go to a tailor and have it made to my specs. It's a hobby. Most off the rack stuff is crap and it doesn't fit me anyway. I've even had a few pairs of shoes custom-made, but otherwise I buy cordovan shoes. Hysterically expensive, but they last for 20 years or more and are comfortable from the first use. Fashion items were never very important to me, but I do love having things made specially for me. That way I'm the only person on earth (or at least almost) with that item. "You don't need the light of the Lord to read the handwriting on the wall." Copies of Warsaw Tales available through www.new-ink.org
I think there's too seperate points: the teenage peer pressure thing and the 'are brands worse than non-brands thing?' Of course, Mr Nike and Mr Reebok are not responsible for the fact that teenagers are horrible to each other. If everyone was forced to wear regulation trainers, wear regulation clothers and have identical haircuts, this problem would still be transferred to another aspect of physical appearance. The cost of some of the most fashionable lines does exacerbate the problem, though, because - when you're mugged for £120 worth of trainers - the replacement cost is obviously quite steep and the fact that they cost that much in the first place makes them worth stealing. Are brands worse than non-brands is different question? In terms of the working practices, unless you actually buy ethical trainers - which Tony can tell everyone more about - it's probably better to buy brands than non-brands. Partly due to consumer pressure, many of the major brands have taken significant steps to improve conditions for their workers in China and other developing countries. A lot more could be done but things used to be much worse in this respect. Unbranded producers - who are subjected to less media scrutiny - have no need to ensure that their workers aren't mistreated, provided they're still managing to churn out the shoes. That said, there's also aesthetic question about whether you want to where a label, which is a different thing entirely - although I think some anti-brand campaigners mix-up the two.

I only buy the best in goretex walking boots. The last pair I bought date back to about 7 years...that's because they are a good quality and design. The sports wear stuff (especially adidas) are made with the crappiest material and produced in the most backwards of factories. It's kak!

There's nothing more mind-teasing than the incomprehensible eagerly avowed -
Dennett

Topic locked