Writing limit?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Writing limit?

So a person left a comment on my story telling me that chapter exceeded the abctales.com word limit. However when I posted and even when I posted a second chapter I never saw anything stating a word limit. If there is one, what is it?

Here you go; copied from the front page. http://www.abctales.com/node/639600

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's good, people will stay with it no matter what the length. It's only a recommendation on the part of the ABC directive. The suggestion is that ABC editors have neither the time nor patience for reading long pieces. I think that does some of us a diservice. Some poeple like something to get their teeth into. I'm one of them. I like longer pieces, they involve me. Do what you want and hope others will be in tune with you. Technically it takes mini-bytes of space. Let readers choose what they want to read and forget about length. I'll read it and comment. sd

TVR

That's how I feel too. I usually love longer chapters but I couldn't find anything where I posted saying there was a limit, I guess if it's too long they can delete it.
Hi again, okiegirl. Good on you. The recommendations for length are just that and not enforcible. It seems they have been put in place for the convenience of editors. Since they can choose who and what they want to read it barely matters. I know it makes no difference in their attitude to my work whether I submit long or short, I get the same indifference. If people are discouraged from writing longer pieces on this site then we are heading for blandness. The beauty of ABC has always been the variety and richness and freedom of thought and creation. If limitations are placed on our imagination then we might as all well give up. You have to ask yourself, who am I actually writing for and why? Do I want to be the teacher's pet, do what is supposedly acceptable. Or do I want to expand my imagination and intelect and hopefully reach a wider audience. It's down to you. Don't let suggested restrictions narrow your world. Best regards. sd

TVR

To be fair, there's no limit on the length of actual pieces but it's a fact that many people find it hard to read longer pieces on one web page. I definitely do. However, I will read a long piece that has been broken up into chapters. I've read all of Hudson Moon's Craven Danger series and that was around 50,000 or so words broken into chapters. I would never have read that on one page. So it's not about a limit on length, it's about presentation and making it easier for the reader. You can post several thousand words on one page if you want but you will get less people reading it. Split it up into chunks as the post on the front page suggests and you'll get more reads.
The truth of the matter is that shorter chunks are good for both readers and editors. It's easy to wave piffle at the Eds - but these are volunteers from the site who put in hours and hours of work. A really long piece takes someone a very long time to go through. The Editors are remarkably conscientous in going through all of the writing on the site. It's also true that shorter pieces get more reads. That's statistical fact over the 12 years of our existence. People find it hard to concentrate on a computer screen for much more than 3,000 words. We suggest that you break down longer pieces into chapters of between 2 and 3,000 words. That way you will get more readers and the Editors will be able to deal with it more easily. It's win win.
Hi Tony, with the greatest respect, I am not piffling editors as you put it. Everyone knows the work they do is voluntary and commendable. They work hard for no reward. I am not blind to that fact. The point I'm making is that I may be in the minority of readers who prefer a long read, but is it fair to short change that faction who do like a longer read? You are absolutely right, reading on screen is hard work and tiring on the eye, but surely the editors have a choice? Being of the older generation I find it extremely difficult myself to read on-screen. But it's easy enough for me to copy and paste into word and print off, which is what I do. That way I can take my time and enjoy a story at leisure. I also do that when I want to appraise and comment on a story in depth. But I realize that editors cannot afford this luxury, it would be totally impractical. I am just making the case for readers who like writing and reading longer pieces, that's all. I hope you accept my explanation in the spirit that it is meant. Best regards. Trevor

TVR