cynical epitaphs - a sign of the times?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
cynical epitaphs - a sign of the times?

Why is it that all the responses to Wolfgirl's question (what do you want written on your gravestone?) are comical or cynical? What happened to the poetic last words of former times? Is deathly cynism a sign of the times?

Gabriel Foster
Anonymous's picture
I think it would be easier to write lyrical and poetic epitaphs for other people. To do so for yourself would probably sound pretentious. Also, it is actually quite a scary thing to confront your own death. Humour is the traditional way of dealing with it. I think in matters such as this the demarcation between humour and cynicism is almost nonexistent.
gloria
Anonymous's picture
its' also perhap's to do with the way she worded it. jaunty' i think was what she said. i really enjoyed that thread
auntie jackie
Anonymous's picture
Hi, I cremated my father today and here is his epitaph from me: Remember the good, forget the bad, Remember the happy, never the sad, Always the laughter, never the tears, All of the memories, throughout the years. These are the things that I will recall, After the pain has started to fall, So my dear Dad you had to fly, Off to Bonny Scotland, with the softest sigh. You may have gone in body and in soul, And with your leaving, you left a huge hole, But I am so happy, that you were my Dad, 'Cos you made me happy, and never sad. Remember I love you, wherever you are, And with you in heaven, there's a bright new star. Give 'em Hell Dad, Goodnight and Bless You. AJ xxxxx :>(
Topic locked