Right that's it

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Right that's it

I've just had yet another rejection from a magazine I thought was suited to my poetry. Obviously the editor didn't think so. I'm getting really sick of sending stuff and having it rejected. I know its part of the process but does ANYONE know where I could send my stuff to that it actually has a decent chance of being looked at? Maybe I'm not taking the hint and it really is crap. But even when i do send stuff off to places that print unusual poetry and alternative writing I get no luck. Writing is the only thing I've ever been marginally good at and I am thinking of packing it in because I have had enough. I know I never will give it up but God I'm havin a bad day!!

burnett
Anonymous's picture
Once upon a time, a young poet had his work returned from a prestigious magazine, saying 'Not one worthy of publishing'. His name was Robert Frost. It just takes patience and persistence :) Good luck
fish
Anonymous's picture
hellen have you tried Smiths Knoll? ... the ed there has a really good reputation for trying out new writers ... don't despair ...
Hellen
Anonymous's picture
I can't remember whether I have or not! Thanks tho. Its so hard not to believe that people aren't just reading the first line of my stuff and then forgetting it !!
Eddie
Anonymous's picture
Ahh, Smith's Knoll, they of the very condescending rejection slips. I won't be sending any more to them. But maybe it's just me...
dazzle
Anonymous's picture
Hellen, join the club - writing is the only thing I am marginally good at as well, but I have never been published, no matter how many times I sent stuff off or where, I too am trying to find the 'right' magazine or publisher to take some of my stuff. Even stuff I've had good reviews on gets rejected but I never give up, take a break, but I'll always come back to it. Keep at it and keep writing.
Hellen
Anonymous's picture
Thanks dazzle. I will keep sending stuff out. Writers block also annoys me but that's nobodys fault but mine. I just have to overcome it!
dgl
Anonymous's picture
Anchor press. They'll publish most things in poetry. they're essentially a hobbyists mag but send them, say, five poems. It will at least give your ego a boost. Having said that, I'm naff at poetry so I don't put any out. The only things I've had published to date are scientific research articles and a chapter of a postgrad textbook (in press). However, I'm relieably informed Anchor is a safe bet: Anchor Books, Remus House, Coltsfoot Drv,, Woodston, Peterborough PE2 9JX. Good Luck.
Topic locked