Some Luck by John Bird

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Some Luck by John Bird

I've bought my copy and started it this morning on the train. Got to Page 86. Although JB is an old mate I do have to say that I am impressed. It's beautifully written and deeply moving without being mawkish. Most of us will wait for the paperback I dare say but at £12.99 from the Book Place it's not that much more in hardback.

He should be along on the 19th so will sign your copies there if you so wish!

This is not a light reccommendation, I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it, but I think he may well have written a damn good book.

Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
I'm half-way through the book, and can reiterate Tony's words. John portrays himself as a lonely boy who spends most of his time observing life and getting blamed for just about everything. Yet it is written without any call for sympathy in what is essentially an extremely unfair world. This is a great book.
faithless
Anonymous's picture
could you not run extracts from it? measured at the just right length for this medium..serialised in the daily abctales...
Tony Cook
Anonymous's picture
I think the publishers would sue me to high heaven! I've finished it in less than 24 hours. It's not a book that's easy to put down. I knew most of the stories already - with the added juicy bits that have been omitted from the book - as JB just loves to talk about his life and is a great raconteur. However, put all together into one big tome, it really banngs home just how far he's come - and how far he's still got to go! Fascinating stuff. It's difficult for me to say how others will take this book as I know John so well and it's hard to divorce my feelings and opinions of him from the writing. I look forward to your comments in time to come!
Topic locked