The Village

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Village

M. Night Shyamalan's new chiller.

Watched it last night ...interesting but disappointed at the end.

Anybody else watched it?

Peter Wild
Anonymous's picture
I was one of those people who didn't get the sixth sense until the wedding ring fell out of his wife's hand . . . but having seen the village and 'got' the twist within minutes, I feel like some Mekon brained sort (and will until the film is on general release and everybody tells me that the twist is quite possibly the most obvious signposted bit of dreck in recent memory . . .
Wolfgirl®
Anonymous's picture
I think that the whole problem is having a film WITH a twist. Somehow if cheapens the whole cinematic experience and like a bad date, you are always looking toward the end and not enjoying the present. I do love his films and think that he is a thoughtful and insightful filmmaker but consider that he has set up expectations for his films to always have that extra something. If the twist fails to satisfy all that goes before is forgotten. Saying that, I have yet to see the film.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
I didn't get the twist in either film, until the obvious points in the films where the twist is self-explained. But in the Village ,i could see it being possible... in the preventing of the villagers from venturing out and encountering the outside world, but a whole new generation not witnessing any kind of interaction with the outside world coming in by even a chance encounter, seemed to me unrealistic. I think......er .....that makes sense?
Wolfgirl®
Anonymous's picture
not at all. But carry on.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
It might be a film where subsequent viewings might improve one's opinion of it. even though i was disappointed by it, i'm still thinking about it. If you haven't seen it Wolfie, then i better say no more in case i spoil it for you. Stellar cast in it though, Joaquin Phoenix one of my favourite actors is in it along Brendan Gleeson, William Hurt, Aidan Brodie and Sigourney Weaver. OOH and Ron Howard's daughter is superb as the blind female lead.
Topic locked