Site deactivated.

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Site deactivated.

It's about 11pm, and I've just taken the current site offline.

This migration happens in 4 parts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Part one: the export
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We figured out a way of copying all the user data off the existing Zope site. My man Seb (another Brighton type, by the way) hoovered up about 13000 user records and over 35000 works, making 'oh my god I can't believe it works that way' mutterings the whole way through. This bit's done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Part two: making the user folders in the new site
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The other thing he muttered about was the circa 200 user records, randomly dotted around the whole list of people, which have such bad data in them that they would certainly have encountered Zope errors *whenever* they tried to log in in the past. Whenever we hit one, the user import stops dead, we remove the bad record, we remove all the users from the new site, and we start again.

This, needless to say, is taking a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Part three: moving your stuff into those user folders
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once your work has somewhere to live, we move it in. This is a much faster job and should take 4-6 hours once part 2 is finished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Part four: we move it to the ABCtales server
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...at which point you can try breaking it. There'll probably be some teething troubles (there always are, and never buy a web site from someone who says otherwise...), which we'll iron out over a day or three.

ONE MORE THING: Good job you stayed until the end. We're resetting your passwords to a new, randomly-generated one, because there's no way we can read the ones you have. We'll send you an email with it. And yes, you can change it back to whatever you prefer on your first login.

I'll be posting updates on the holding page at www.abctales.com as we go to keep you informed.

In the meantime, if you've got questions, ask away.

John H

Pop Bach
Anonymous's picture
Liked this.
Topic locked