What is a Lyric Poem?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
What is a Lyric Poem?

In Language Arts, we are currently working on poems. One of the days I was sick (and absent from school), when the class first started doing poems altogether, we had to write a lyic poem.

Well.....

My teacher told me what to do and where to go to find out what a lyric poem was. I went to where she told me to go to. I didn't understand it. By that time, the bell had rang, so when I got home at the end of the day, I looked up what a lyric poem was. That still didn't help me. So I looked up some examples of lyric poems. Didn't make my understanding any clearer. I kept looking up what a lyric poem was for the past two weeks, and I STILL don't understand what it is!

Now, tomorrow is the day that we turn in our poems, and I know this is kind of last minute, but could anyone please help me understand WHAT A LYRIC POEM IS?! Please =)

Don't worry, you're not being obtuse. The problem is that there really isn't a proper definition of lyric poetry that all could agree on. Originally, a lyric poem is an ode, that is a poem meant to be sung; in this case, to the accompaniment of a lyre - hence the name. Therefore, in antiquity, a lyric poem had a strong metre or rhythm that was repeated though the refrain (or chorus if you like) might have a different metre. In the medieval period through to perhaps the late 19th century, the lyric poem was often best represented by a sonnet, villanelle or some other form that had a clear rhythmical structure. In modern poetry, any clear definition has really collapsed almost entirely because, I suppose, strong rhythm and metre is seen as rather old fashioned. Therefore, a lyric poem these days is merely one that expresses strong emotion and personal feelings. But please understand that the above is my take on the matter - I'm sure others would disagree. Perhaps that's the beauty of the thing. Anyway, if your poem is about personal feelings and emotions you'd be perfectly at liberty to call it lyrical - if it has a strong metre or rhythm, so much the better. Helvigo Jenkins

Helvigo Jenkins

This is an extract from J.A.Cuddon's 'A Dictionary of Literary Terms': Since the end of the 19th c. almost every major European and American poet have attempted and enriched the lyric form..... From thousands of such poems which exist and from which one may choose, I take this short poem by John Clare as an example of the lyric form: The Secret I loved thee, though I told thee not, Right earlily and long, Thou wert my joy in every spot, My theme in every song. And when I saw a stranger face Where beauty held the claim, I gave it like a secret grace The being of thy name. And all the charms of face or voice Which I in others see Are but the recollected choice Of what I felt for thee.

Sorry Slirpie, no idea!

I see lyric poetry loosely defined as rhyming poetry. Like the lyrics of a song. This is what I write and you are welcome to look through my set of poems for examples; http://www.abctales.com/set/jacques/selected-poems-1989---2006 Good Luck...

Topic locked