Rape and Sexual Assault taken more seriously than Murder

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rape and Sexual Assault taken more seriously than Murder

There has been a lot in the media about rape and sexual assault, with certain celebrities being hounded over abuse that they performed years previously.  They have quite rightly been jailed.

Yet, the IRA terrorists who blew up soldiers in Hyde Park thirty years sgo have virtually been offered a "get out of jail" card, with all charges against them dropped.   How can murder be considered less serious than rape?

Heinous though rape is, it rarely kills and its victims survive to tell the tale, whereas, once you have been killed by a bomb, you do not come back to life.

I think 'abuse performed years ago' and 'celebrities being hounded' attempts to dilute the systematic rape and grooming of minors.

I see where you are coming from Drumkit, but I still don't necessarily think that murder isn now considered less serious than rape. I think for political reasons murder is sometimes forgiven, but I feel like for the most part that happens to avoid more violence and murder. Obviously, every situation is different though. But rape, well, that's kind of new to us as a society to deal with. Sure, it has been happening since the beginning of mankind, but it doesn't seem that until recently people actually cared if a woman's right to sleep or not sleep with someone were violated. Women (and men) are finally stepping up and wanting justice for being abused and tormented for such a long time. Something like rape leaves a massive psychological (as well as physical) mark on someone and somehow, just now, it seems like society actually cares about doing something about it. I'm glad rape is in the news more. No person deserves such disrepect and injustice like rape.