Examples of Sexual Prejudice

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Examples of Sexual Prejudice

Sexual prejudice is commonplace in our world, particularly in the workplace where many men are forced to wear shirt & tie, while women can get away with t-shirts. What's the deal with a tie anyway? Is it just something left over from the ruff of Edwardian times? And how come the guy with a tie is considered by many to be smarter than the guy without?

The whole thing baffles me.

However, here's an example of a woman taking a real liberty. I was recently at a kid's show where, as usual on these occasions, the toilets filled up at half-time. The men's had about five rows of 10 urinals, which equates to about 50 swinging dicks if my maths CSE still stands me in good stead.

Suddenly a woman entered, saying in a loud voice, "I'm not looking, I'm not looking," as she rushed to a vacant cubicle.

It was greeted for the most part with amusement and nothing else. But it got me thinking. How would 50 or so women react if a man walked into the room while they were having a piss? How would that particular woman react if a man walked in on HER?

So can anyone else think of any situations or rules & regs that are okay for one sex and not the other? I'm not looking for the sort of "We always have to do the ironing" or "We've always got to take the rubbish out," scenarios. I'm wondering what is considered "allowable" for one sex (male or female) and yet socially unacceptable for the other.

Over to you.

Tony Cook
Anonymous's picture
the women's loos problem can easily be overcome. Have more of them! I think it is disgraceful that women almost always have to queue for ages for a pee whereas men can be in and out in no time at all. I do not mind women using the men's cubicles at all in these circumstances. When i go to new venues and see the same number of loos for women as men it makes me mad - it takes women longer to pee, they need more cubicles. Architects - get a life!
Rachel
Anonymous's picture
I have to hold my hand up and say I am guilty of using the mens when there's a massive queue for the ladies. However, will always ask a male friend to go in first and ask if its oK. And usually by the time in the evening that I resort to that no gent would care if I was female or a rhinocerous. My favourite pub in London, The Princess Louise in Holborn, has the most ridiculous womens loo. The gents is this amazing victorian room but the ladies was obviously added on as an afterthought. You actually have to climb behind the toilet to get the door shut. I suppose all fair enough for very old pubs which were built before women frequented them but no excuse for brand new places with inadequate facilities. That said, some women do spend bloody hours in there - what are they doing? Actually, don't think I want to know.
Flash
Anonymous's picture
Men aren't allowed off work when they're pregnant, women are unfair or what?
Greco
Anonymous's picture
"Men aren't allowed off work when they're pregnant..." When they're pregnant! I think we need a little talk... I've used some excuses in my time, but I doubt that one would go down too well. ;-)
Flash
Anonymous's picture
It's never worked for me, even when people chortle "Hey Flash when's it due? ha!ha!" Management usually a bit sceptical when excuse is offered. Why is there a picture of Missi on the front page? He looks better than imagined.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Mate of mine (male, even) says women are allowed to shoplift whilst pregnant. It's th 'ormones, see...
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
yeah yeah yeah, those bloody moaning whores again!
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
No need for nastiness, George.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
It was meant to be humourous Andrea. Sorry I got it wrong again.
spag
Anonymous's picture
Don't be nasty to Andrea, George. She lives in Holland and thus she is a littl bit more sensitive. The poor love :-)
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
How about this then: On the building site where I now work (I no longer work as a cabbie), all the guys have to wear long trousers. There are currently about 500 men on a daily basis on this site, and they're not allowed to wear shorts in hot weather because some of the apartments have already been sold. Yet the girls can go bare legged from just above the knee to ankle. Apart from the fact tat I would much rather see a girl's leg than a hairy-arsed builders, that seems extremely prejudical to me.
Greco
Anonymous's picture
Your original scenario is difficult, because women don't use urinals, and are therefore used to urinating in a private space: so you can't really turn the situation on its head. I will say, I used to go to a club where the male toilets were so disgusting, I refused to use them. I used the female toilets, and I found the young ladies very accomodating...NO, not in that way, but they weren't in the slightest bit bothered. Now, if I'd walked in on them in a cubicle...a different matter, I suspect.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I believe I have related this before but as it's pertinent to the thread I'll risk repetition. Some years ago I took my eldest son to the Amnesty International concert at Wembley stadium. Top of the bill was Bruce Springsteen. There was an interval between acts I seem to remember during which I made a dash for the toilet. There were very long queues outside the womens but upon entering the mens I was gobsmacked to find every fifth person standing at the urinal, a long trough, was a woman with her skirt hitched up and blithely answering her call of nature. No one batted an eyelid, when one has to piss does it matter what sex you are? Something else I've said before also, 'When a guy talks dirty to a woman it's sexual harrassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man it's a quid a minute!'
skydolphin
Anonymous's picture
Sexual Prejudice is based on atomistic values in my opinion, we (men and women) created our differences, men chose to gloat over them, and women to complain about them. Here are some interesting quotes Being a husband is a whole-time job. -- Enoch Arnold Bennett I wonder what Adam and Eve think of it by this time. (Marriage)-- Marriane Moore Marriage is popular because it combines the maximum of temptation with the maximum of opportunity. -- George Bernard Shaw Any intelligent woman who reads the marriage contract, and then goes into it, deserves all the consequences. -- Isadora Duncan All women are born evil. Some just realize their potential later in life than others. -- Chad A. Gamble, Escape, short story Woman was God's second mistake. -- Friedrich Nietzsche If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning. -- Aristotle Onassis Women are like tea bags; put them in hot water and they get stronger.-- Eleanor Roosevelt Women are wiser than men because they know less and understand more. -- James Stephens God became a man, granted. The devil became a woman. -- Victor Hugo If it weren't for marriage, men and women would have to fight with total strangers. -- Anonymous Want him to be more of a man? Try being more of a woman! -- Coty Perfume Ad You have to kiss a lot of toads before you find a handsome prince. -- American Proverb In a great romance, each person plays a part the other really likes. -- Elizabeth Ashley Honeymoon: A short period of doting between dating and debting. -- Ray Bandy Anyone can be passionate, but it takes real lovers to be silly. -- Rose Franken A man who has never made a woman angry is a failure in life. -- Christopher Morley The perfect love affair is one, which is conducted entirely by post (or on the net) -- George Bernard Shaw Saying that men talk about baseball in order to avoid talking about their feelings is the same as saying that women talk about their feelings in order to avoid talking about baseball. -- Deborah Tannen, You Just Don't Understand Men always want to be a woman's first love - women like to be a man's last romance. -- Oscar Wilde A man who marries a woman to educate her falls a victim to the same fallacy as the woman who marries a man to reform him. -- Elbert Hubbard If men knew all that women think, they'd be twenty times more daring. -- Alphonse Karr Women want mediocre men, and men are working hard to become as mediocre as possible. -- Margaret Mead Bachelors know more about women than married men; if they didn't, they'd be married too. -- H. L. Mencken Men have a much better time of it than women: for one thing they marry later, for another thing they die earlier. -- H. L. Mencken God help the man who won't marry until he finds a perfect woman, and God help him still more if he finds her. -- Benjamin Tillett When women go wrong, men go right after them. -- Mae West Every woman should marry--- and no man. -- Benjamin Disraeli Man is not the creature of circumstances. Circumstances are the creatures of men. -- Benjamin Disraeli Every man is wanted, and no man is wanted much. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson Man has his will -- but woman has her way -- Oliver Wendell Holmes Most women are not so young as they are painted. -- Max Beerbohm The way to a man's heart is through his stomach.--Fanny Fern Woman would be more charming if one could fall into her arms without falling into her hands -- Ambrose Bierce She's the ornament of her sex. -- Charles Dickens Remember, its as easy to marry a rich woman as a poor woman. -- William Thackeray Women like not only to conquer, but to be conquered. -- William Thackeray Next to the very young, I suppose the very old are the most selfish. -- William Thackeray In revenge and in love woman is more barbarous than man. -- Friedrich Nietzche God created woman. And boredom did indeed cease from that moment --- but many other things ceased as well! Woman was God's second mistake. -- Friedrich Nietzche Man needs to go outside himself in order to find repose and reveal himself. -- Jose Marti The great question… which I have not been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?" -- Sigmund Freud
Rokkitnite
Anonymous's picture
'The great question… which I have not been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?" -- Sigmund Freud' The funniest thing about that mediocre Mel Gibson vehicle, 'What Women Want', is that it assumed men care. :)
Greco
Anonymous's picture
Of course we care. How else are we going to get a shag?
markbrown
Anonymous's picture
What interests me more is what is 'allowable' from the point of view of one member of a gender looking at another member of the same gender, the little nods and winks that deem one thing acceptable and another unacceptable. I think that is probably a more rewarding thing to look at.
Rokkitnite
Anonymous's picture
'How else are we going to get a shag?' I find inducing a sense of weary resignation in my mark usually has the desired effect.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
i think if women raped men at the level of frequency that men raped women, then a woman using a urinal would also be unacceptable... Oh no. Now I sound like a fabid fem... I do assure you Im not...
Topic locked