The Sun Also Rises… on Sunday.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Sun Also Rises… on Sunday.

Oh joy?

At the end of January we were told that after the arrest of several senior journalists from The Sun that the launch of the new Sunday Sun would be held back until the end of April...
However, the UK need hold its collective breath no longer - yes, it's time to cheer…
the Sunday Sun is here...
well, actually The Sun On Sunday.

So, what edifying editorial will grace the front page?
Well, as the Sun advertised on Friday there is no editorial on the front page.
Rather it is a hard-hitting exclusive interview with Amanda Holden :
“My Heart Stopped For 40 Seconds.”

I suppose it is a nice change from Friday's Sun : “Britain’s Battle Plan For War With Iran.”
"HUNDREDS of troops and an extra nuclear sub ready to head to Gulf as tension mounts and conflict ‘inevitable’!"

Sadly no. No surprise there then.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4154426/Britains-batt...

Actually, it may BE the Friday edition of the Sun with a few added 'human interest' stories as
Camouflage - let's face it the average Sun reader probably wouldn't notice ;O)

I know you can't wait so here is a sneak peek... "A NEW era has dawned. Welcome to the first Sunday edition of The Sun — printed after Rupert Murdoch proudly started the presses last night." "We have all your favourites, plus brilliant new columnists who tell it like it is. From Katie Price slating private schools to Toby Young — the only person brave enough to say The Artist is pretentious rubbish." http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4154649/Rupert-Murdoch-launche... Since, I hear that, 'The Artist' has no guns or violence, no sex or nudity, no fast cars or attack helicopters, nor pumping rock and roll soundtrack - it is no shock to me that it is being called rubbish by the Sun...
Well it certainly was not rubbish but it could have lost 30 minutes in the middle...

Not a fan of News International but am glad some honest people got their jobs back. Thought it was scandalous that ordinary people lost their jobs at NOTW due people higher up playing fast and loose with morals.

Thanks Lavadis! I'd be very interested in your, or anyone else who has seen "The Artist", opinion as to whether it could reasonably be classed as 'pretentious' or whether that's just an easy 'box' to put it in for readers of the Sun who don't actually understand what pretentious means. Perhaps it was The film's director Michel Hazanavicius claim : "The Artist was made as a love letter to cinema, and grew out of my (and the cast and crew’s) admiration and respect for movies throughout history. It was inspired by the work of Hitchcock, Lang, Ford, Lubitsch, Murnau and Wilder." ____________________________________________ Scanning through the sort of material that seems to make up the majority of 'news' in the Sun I couldn't believe how shallow it was. Beyond the usual war mongering and attacks on the loony Left it appeared to be mostly tittle tattle and speculation about female B list 'celibs' who had had a bad hair day, worn the wrong dress or even worn the right dress but back to front. This sort of 'news' used to be the staple diet of tacky weekly magazines not daily papers... It's frightening to see how the dragging down of everything to the lowest common denominator can be so successful and it makes the Murdoch Machine all the more dangerous. Like a drug dealer who has no scrupples you sell your clients shit that makes them mentally ill while arguing you are giving people what they want! It's using the addiction of the stupid as an excuse to constantly broadcast the same old lies while claiming that so many people can't be wrong. How many Fox fools does it take to change a light bulb? Who knows they never notice it needs changing!
"I think it's successful because so many people aren't interested in grey areas, debate, discussion, reasoned discourse. They want black and white. Good and evil. And they want to see their prejudices validated." Sorry, Stan - I did an extensive edit and you, and several others, posted in the meantime. Yes, In the main, I agree. However, that doesn't excuse the brain washing!
I just realised that I ought to have asked : "How many Fox watching fools does it take to change a light bulb?" To make it obvious I didn't mean the presenters. Several of the Fox presenters are obviously quite bright, even 'Oh Really?' in his 'Spin zone'.
It makes you proud to be British... "The Sun on Sunday sold three million copies after it hit news stands across the country for the first time, Rupert Murdoch has said." "We will hold our journalists to the standards we expect of them. After all a newspaper which holds the powerful to account must do the same with itself. You will be able to trust our journalists to abide by the values of decency as they gather news." http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/murdoch-sun-on-sunday-sells-3m-1 I wonder just exactly what the Murdoch values of decency are... don't get caught? I notice that 'pretentious rubbish' won the Best Picture Award at the Oscars. "'The Artist' is now the first film to win both the Best Picture Oscar and France's Cesar Award for best film..." Reuters.
I’ve just listened to Mitt Romney say on Fox that he thinks the recent apology by the US, for burning Korans, sticks in the craw of many Americans who can’t understand why the ungrateful Afghanis don’t appreciate how many US troops have died to bring them Democracy. It seems it has nothing to do with religion, the actual invasion of Afghanistan, or the American inability to understand that some people take religion a little more seriously than the US TV evangalists that promise a ticket to Paradise for a few dollars a week. No, rather it is all Obama's fault for announcing that the US will be leaving Afghanistan soon. Silly me, I thought that America invaded Afghanistan to demonstrate that it could do a better job of cowing the Afghanis than the Russians could. Isn’t the US still involved in the killing of hundreds of innocent civilians using drone missiles etc. which it calls ‘collateral damage’ and constantly regrets despite the numbers increasing year on year? Wasn’t the original excuse for the ’war’ to hunt down Al Qaeda? I think we all know that most of them were actually in Pakistan. Wasn’t there some talk of defeating the Taliban if they didn’t give up Al Qaeda members? Surely they should have been invading Pakistan if they wanted to do that? What‘s that? Pakistan has nuclear weapons… a mistake you don’t intend to repeat in Iran. Yes, well, no doubt it will soon be time to take Freedom and American style Democracy to the Iranians and probably the North Koreans too. You’re right, Mr Romney, the Us should not be apologising to the Afghans for burning Korans but for being there in the first place! If your present stance is any indication of your total misunderstanding of world affairs then God save us all if you become President! I have to admit that, to my surprise, the presenter didn't give Romney an easy ride so maybe there is hope for Fox after all... or the presenter supports the Tea Party ;O)
Topic locked