RE: Having Carol for Christmas

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
RE: Having Carol for Christmas

Topic posted in response to Having Carol for Christmas : http://www.abctales.com/story/malcolm-welshman/having-carol-christmas

Hi folks.

Just out of curiosity, if anyone who's read my story, 'Having Carol for Christmas' can let me know whether they guessed the ending, I'd appreciate it. It took me a few drafts - cutting out some of the clues - which would have given it away too early.

Cheers

Malcolm
www.malcolmwelshman.co.uk
http://tinyurl.com/7quxgrm

Gerardineanne Hi Malcolm, I was searching for the twist early on,but didn't get it to the very end.
Hi Malcolm, you seem like a nice chap and are obviously a pretty talented writer; you are no longer a newbie so I feel justified in pointing out that you have not read (or at least commented on) a single piece of writing by any other person on this site, the whole time you have been coming on here. Why should anyone take the time and effort to read and comment on your work?

Malcolm Welshman Hi. Fair comment. Words fail me.

Malcolm Welshman

Gerardineanne The only thing I have to say to that critique is that learning comes first and I have no scruples at all as to who or where that comes from. As a new writer I stick to the material not the motives.Malcolm,speak or don't on forums.It's your work that counts.
The old maxim 'you only get what you give' comes to mind. I can only speak for myself, but I generally avoid reading work that's featured in these sorts of forum pleas. Look, we're all here because we're craving attention. Not everyone will admit it to themselves, and there's certainly other motives as well, but that's a key reason why we all come here and post. And, as far as I can tell in my brief time here, the best way to get that attention, that feedback on your work, is to engage in the community. That's how it works here, as well as in life. Malcolm, I would be willing to bet that if you pose this question within your piece, and engage yourself in the community, reading and commenting on the work of others, you will get five or ten times the response you would've by this method.

Thanks for your comments. It's reassuring to hear you say, Geraldineanne, that it's the work that counts. And yes, Kirincnj, the motives behind putting stories on site are as you say - in my case to hopefully add a story or two which might be enjoyed by fellow ABCers and of course to help raise my profile at the same time. It seems one or ABCers are getting huffy that I don't engage with the community. OK. I don't. My apologies there. But time restraints make it difficult ... the writing comes first. And if it really concerns fellow ABCers, then there's an easy solution. I'll stop posting any more stories. Whatever, happy writing to everyone. That's our common bond and why we're here.

Malcolm Welshman

Good morning, Malcolm. If everyone had the same attitude as you then the site would be a very lonely place indeed. What makes you so special that members should read and comment on your work when you don't ever return the favour? And what if everyone used the forum to advertise their latest masterpiece? You wrote - 'It seems one or ABCers are getting huffy that I don't engage with the community. OK. I don't. My apologies there. But time restraints make it difficult ... the writing comes first.' It is the same for us all. Many of us try to hold down full time jobs. To have a go at anyone and call them huffy for trying to get you involved is rather childish. However, it's not as childish as - 'And if it really concerns fellow ABCers, then there's an easy solution. I'll stop posting any more stories.' Why don't you put your ball back down and come play with the other kids occasionally? You write well. Share some of that knowledge with others whenever possible. And don't say it's never possible. If you have time to post and reply to forum topics then you have time to read and comment on pieces of work. Whatever your choice, I wish you all the best and leave you with the image of me dressed up as Mrs Doyle from Father Ted saying, "Go on...go on, go on, go on, go on."
No one should have that image OP, that's just cruel. :)
It's only a nice cup of tea, shep. Will ye not stay for one yourself? Go on... If Malcolm pops in before I go to mass I'll stick a fresh pot on and butter some scones.
Malcolm, I don't know you. You're probably a really nice guy. But read what you said: "But time restraints make it difficult ... the writing comes first. And if it really concerns fellow ABCers, then there's an easy solution. I'll stop posting any more stories." That, in effect, says 'My time is too valuable to view your work, and if you don't like that, I'll split.' And you're saying that shortly after posting a thread that essentially said 'Please spend your time looking at my work'. Just think about that for a minute. I wish you the best of luck in your writing and your life.

Malcom, good afternoon, It's really difficult to counter the sentiments expressed here by fatboy and oldpesky et al. Of course you want comment and feedback. You simply must take heed and ACT on the observations contained in this thread - if only from a selfish perspective. You will generate more traffic and interest and probably get what you desire. I just don't buy what you say about time either - if you have the time to write, to post and to prompt (in forums) for reads then that in itself belies your excuse for not commenting on the work of others. Please take this message in good part (and that will be a reflection of the way it was posted). I look forward to your reads and comments on my submissions and on the submissions of others.

Malcolm, you can get involved as little or as much as you like; lots of people come on the site, post their work and don't read other stuff or leave comments - that's entirely up to them and you - what most of them don't do, and why this particular abcer got 'huffy' was the advertising of your stuff on the forum and asking people to comment on your work, when you know full well that isn't how it should work. In this case (due to the good nature of other abcers who aren't as aggro as me) it has worked, you have had four comments on your story at the last count - as a gesture of good will it might be nice if you read something of theirs and commented. The Oldpeskyman gives a much better argument than I can (and with far more humour and grace) as to why getting involved is worthwhile. I think i'm picking on you in particular because you have some experiance of being published and there are so many excellent writers of prose who would benefit from engaging with you and listening to what you have to say. ATB Fatboy

Gerardineanne I love you, fatboy.I was really in a spin with all this and you've nailed it!
I love you too Gerardineanne. See, this ABC dating thing is working already Tony. :-)

Topic locked