Writing groups

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Writing groups

I would really like to join a writers' group, but all the ones I've looked at so far seem to be very poetry-heavy. Can anybody recommend me ones in central or south London that focus more on short stories/prose? Could stretch to evening classes if they are good too.

Joyce Hicks
Anonymous's picture
Don't know if you've managed to find a writers' group yet - and I can't help, I'm afraid, since I live in Lowestoft, Suffolk. I'm actually secretary/chair of our local writers' circle, which is very much short story based. But if you can't find one in your area, why not start your own? Advertise in the local press and you'll probably be inundated! And it's not difficult to run a writers' circle. They're often self-help groups, people with a shared interest, who come together once a fortnight to read out their works, while others give opinions and advice, share info. on competitions, getting published, or whatever. Might be worth a try. Good luck Joyce Hicks
leon
Anonymous's picture
Hi. I would like to start attending a writers group in either central London or around the SW area. If anyone knows of or is involved with a writers group/club in London, would you please email me with information - Leonshoesmith@hotmail.com. Many Thanks.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Maybe you'll find something here: [%sig%]
Ron Isaacs
Anonymous's picture
I would like to join a writers' group, to get my work criticised and for any other purpose which becomes clear when I have joined. There are two groups in the London borough in which I live, but both have snags. One meets at the local arts centre, very handy, but on a Saturday, the one day in the week when my wife and i can go to eat out. The other is a couple of miles away, but at a very incovenient time. I find this all very Procrustean, and very diffivult for me to bend to fit. So I shall just have to continue on my own.
Ralph pleachley
Anonymous's picture
Dear Andrea, I live in Hackney East London and your recommended website didn't help me one bit. I wanted to put ' iota ', not, ' one bit ', but I'm not sure of the spelling and, my spell checker doesn't.....Anyway. If there's anyone out there who wants to write commercial fiction and wants to join a group of like minded individuals. Please link me. Ralph_Pleachley @ hotmail.com [%sig%]
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Twat
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
My apologies, Mr Pleachley, if you are, indeed, a new member of ABC and not someone hiding behind a pseudonym in order to drip sarcasm. It's often impossible to tell, unfortunately. In future I will put a smiley after my twat, just to be on the safe side :-)
Jeff Prince
Anonymous's picture
!
Ray
Anonymous's picture
Well it does seem obvious that there's no writing groups in central london. I found one called Beyond Bloomsbury, which failed to answer my email. So I'm going to set one up myself if anyone's interested. I live in the W1 area and will try and find a room in that area. I think 10 is not only a nice round number, but probably a good sized group. I write fiction and short stories and so would like to limit involvement to like minded souls. Sorry you poets, but there does seem to be enough groups for you to choose from. Just reply to this email if you're interested. Cheers Ray rayphilpott@hotmail.com [%sig%]
Paul
Anonymous's picture
Hi Ray, I am a novice short story writer and am very interested in joining a central London writing group. Any further info would be gratfully received. Regards, Paul
Brownie_1
Anonymous's picture
I tied this once and found I left every week in tears. Felt Like I was totally - crap! I desided - I was as good if not better, with out the aires and graces and digestive biscuits. This is the best and biggest writers group you will ever need. e-mail me any time. I can always offer the odd shoulder, followed by the odd tissue, if given back in return... We are a very sensitive lot... Jan
Aaron Smith
Anonymous's picture
Hi - Just been nosing through your comments and I have been looking for a fiction writing group in London and can't seem to find one. If I wanted to stand on stage and perform poetry, I guess I'd be set for life... Are you guys setting up a writing group - I live a little way off out of London, but will gladly give some time and energy to getting this off the ground - after all, we all seem to be after the same thing. Aaron Smith aaron.smith@omnetica.com
Sarah
Anonymous's picture
Any news on the group? [%sig%]
Elizabeth H.
Anonymous's picture
I somehow cannot fathom that this literary city doesn't have writers' groups, but if not, then we all must get to it. I'd be willing to make some calls and see if we can find a space that would be willing to host us, somewhere central. I am in W9 and Ray is W1. If anyone has any suggestions for locations, let me know. Regarding Brownie's comment on getting hurt in writing groups, I can attest that they are VERY difficult. I have been a writer for 16 years, journalist, fiction, poetry, as well as a writing instructor. It does get easier. The trick is to remember that we are there not just for help but for support as well. When it is your turn to have your work critiqued, tell the group what you want. If you all you want to hear is what we like about the work, what seems to be working, say so. If you are ready to hear what doesn't seem to working, then tell us that too. And, of course, it is always good to look for the good in everything. OK, let's not waste time. These kinds of groups really keep us all writing. Meanwhile, have you all written something today? I mean something other than a web post or email? If not, what are you waiting for?! Just 10 minutes! Elizabeth ebethgrace@yahoo.com
ebeth
Anonymous's picture
I somehow cannot fathom that this literary city doesn't have writers' groups, but if not, then we all must get to it. I'd be willing to make some calls and see if we can find a space that would be willing to host us, somewhere central. I am in W9 and Ray is W1. If anyone has any suggestions for locations, let me know. Regarding Brownie's comment on getting hurt in writing groups, I can attest that they are VERY difficult. I have been a writer for 16 years, journalist, fiction, poetry, as well as a writing instructor. It does get easier. The trick is to remember that we are there not just for help but for support as well. When it is your turn to have your work critiqued, tell the group what you want. If you all you want to hear is what we like about the work, what seems to be working, say so. If you are ready to hear what doesn't seem to working, then tell us that too. And, of course, it is always good to look for the good in everything. OK, let's not waste time. These kinds of groups really keep us all writing. Meanwhile, have you all written something today? I mean something other than a web post or email? If not, what are you waiting for?! Just 10 minutes! Elizabeth ebethgrace@yahoo.com
Topic locked