Love/hate relationship

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Love/hate relationship

Hi,

I was having a chat with a mate at the weekend and we got onto the topic of books. Despite getting on in every other way, she said she absolutely hated The Diceman whereas it's one of my favourite books. Similarly, I had a great chat with Tony Cook the other day about Jane Austen - he loves her, I hate her and think all her characters deserve a slap. As a fair few of you on this list e-mail each other/are mates, are there any books that you either love, and can't understand a friend hating or vice versa?

Cheers

Emily

arthurchappell
Anonymous's picture
Lots of books fall into this category realy - Richard BVach's Jonathon Livingstone Seagullis one that really diovides people, I often get told to read Debnnis Wheatley, a few people still like Erich Voin Daniken who should be hated as totally fraudulent, but still makes a big impression on people, I found Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintainence unreadable but lots of people swear by it, best wishes AC www.arthurchappell.clara.net/contents.htm I do like The Dice Man by the way -
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
My wife loves to use my cheque book and I hate her to!
Ralph Dartford
Anonymous's picture
Well Me and fishbone still do not see eye to eye on Hornby. I love him, fish wants to strangle him in his Arsenal shirt. Puts fingers in ears as whole site groans... Ralph
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Groan.
fish
Anonymous's picture
darn that pesky ralph ... was about to put "my friend ralph and i will battle to the death over nick hornby ... in other things we are in perfect accord ..." grrr ...
Ralph Dartford
Anonymous's picture
Fish Just you wait till I get you down in the bunker. Ralph
Merseysippi
Anonymous's picture
I think anyone in an Arsenal shirt should be strangled. But only after that other London team - Man Ure. (nothing personal, Andrea)
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Wouldn't worry Mersey - I didn't get it anyway..,.
Martin T
Anonymous's picture
My other half raves about Don Delillo and I have really tried to enjoy his stuff but it just doesn't work for me.....she hates Nick Hornby and Irvine Welsh, who I cannot get enough of.......talking of Football, could there be a finer moment then in 1989 when Michael Thomas scorred that last second goal against Liverpool to bring the title back to the home of Football, Highbury....... (looks around anxiously for mississippi with a gripping hands approaching......)
Merseysippi
Anonymous's picture
but was it as good as Michael Owen's last-minute goal in the FA Cup Final last season? p.s. what's mississippi got to do with this?
Martin T
Anonymous's picture
Sorry.....misread the posting......lots of time for Owen though......a natural.
let's get it on
Anonymous's picture
while not a book, im going to throw this in for discussion: my favourite soul album is what's going on, by he of the upturned collar, marvin gaye. liana says that al green is much better, hates marvin gaye. al green however makes me think of old timers getting it on backstage at a jazz club. before getting too worked up over this (again), can i open this up to the floor?
robert
Anonymous's picture
i’m not a big fan of either, but i do think Let’s Get It On is a mighty fine song so marvin gets the nod from me... i sometimes argue about which is the best smokey robinson song – The Tracks of My Tears or The Tears of a Clown – but only with myself
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Hahahaha ..when he told me that Al Green makes him think of old folk "getting it on" l mentioned that one and "sexual healing" being the ultimate songs for oldies getting it on to. Even Rick admits that thats not the best of his. "Its an 80's song so l can forgive him that" is what I think he said, actually... (and I can say this, as I am an oldie too :o) ) :oPPP to you Rick Al Greens versions of "Aint no Sunshine" and "Tired of being alone" are fab, and not getting it on music at all....
Roy
Anonymous's picture
Robert - you're torn between two absolute classics there. Motown never got the praise it deserved for its arrangements. While "Tears of a Clown" is a great single, with a superb arrangement (Incidentally, this is pure pop, right? Not quite - we're suppose to spot the reference to "Pagliacci" - even if should be Pagliacco in this case) but "Tracks of my Tears".. wow. Possibly my all-time Motown fave. Especially with that superb string arrangement - strings hired in from the Detroit SO, a near-perfect synthesis of pop and music proper.
Tony Cook
Anonymous's picture
When I first met my wife she adored Band of Gold - and still does. It's OK because it's 'her' song but it's still schamltzy junk. Give me loads of Marvin any day - that whole Get It On album and of course the magnificent Has Anybody Seen or even Grapevine. Woo, eee, now that's what I call music (volume 157).
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Looks meaningfully at Rick*
Linsi
Anonymous's picture
I have quite a few books that my friends don't rate, I really like Wilbur Smiths' "River God" which I read a couple of years ago and no one I know thinks its any good!! (they must be imbociles!) I read "The Beach" by Alec Garland last year while in Cananda and I tried to get my boyfriend to read it. (As he will never see this site, he does not read! humpff!) I can tell you that he hates books and feels that nothing will grab his attention. I thought "The Beach" would be on his wave length, sadly, he saw the film first and has vowed never to read the book....Damn you television!!!
Liana
Anonymous's picture
*imbociles* :o)))
Linsi
Anonymous's picture
Hehehheheh...too much wine i'm afraid!
Linsi
Anonymous's picture
(please refer to my "horror words " thread :O)
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I know - I saw it immediately after, and fely deeply guilty for grinning. :o) I'm over it now, mind.....
stormy
Anonymous's picture
fely ? :->
Liana
Anonymous's picture
bugger :o)
Linsi
Anonymous's picture
As I said in t'other thread, all my spelling mistakes are now deliberate...
Topic locked