The Mood

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Mood

You need to be in the right mood to write. Whether it be happy, sad, whatever. You are the writer so your feelings will come across. I find listening to music before writing is perfect. Not failed yet!

jonsmalldon
Anonymous's picture
Do you need to be in the right mood to write? Is there such a thing as perfect writing conditions? I'm trying to get away from that and set myself a time every day when I will write no matter how I'm feeling. Sometimes I do and sometimes I convince myself not to. However whenever I do I'm always surprised by what comes out and the knowledge that I would never have written that if I'd been waiting for the perfect moment. For example, the other day I told myself I would get up early and carry on writing a short story I was working on. I did get up early at about 6.30 and put pen in hand before my bleary eyes were really open. I didn't write any more of the story at all but instead being in that state of mind brought back perfectly details of my life that I had completely forgotten, namely when I had a milk round and had to get up before 6 every day. I would never have brought those memories back so vividly without writing at the 'wrong' time.
Tony Cook
Anonymous's picture
I have written two novels (both unpublished). You have to be incredibly strict with yoruself. Athe desk every day at 10 and no going out until 2 was my regime. I found that I really got under way about 11 and didn't stop for two hours. Then that was it. I could sit for hours more but wrote only drivel. Poetry and short stories are different. I don't write poetry any more (because I'm not very good at it) but I do write the occasional short story and that's when I'm taken by the muse. I'm working from home tomorrow and will try to to a 'today's event' piece. It won't be entered (I'm the judge) but I need a kick start to my own writing at the moment.
Topic locked