I desperately need help for writing

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
I desperately need help for writing

I love writing. I'm good at it, whats more. But I dont' know how to write a book, if you grasp my meaning. I'm only 11 you see, so I am NOT very experienced.
I can start a really good book, but I don't know where to carry on from there. PLEASE HELP,
Imo.

CamF
Anonymous's picture
Hi Imo, I know that every writer is totally different, so don't think that I mean to lecture, but for the series of stories I am writing, which will be four long novels, I was having difficulty keeping my ideas on track for the purpose of the story. I really like the snowflake method @ http://www.rsingermanson.com/html/the_snowflake.html It is a very mechanical approach to writing though, and you may feel a bit stiffled at first. But trust me it is worth it as you can control the flow of your ideas better. Just my two cents, i'm sure there are hundreds of other ways but I thought this was a good idea.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Hi Imo, perhaps you'd like to try Young UKAuthors. It's a site for young writers and perhaps you'll be able to find some good advice and help there :-) Bless.
Imo
Anonymous's picture
Thanks!!Hey dont say bless!!! Im not that inexperienced!! ;)
Claire
Anonymous's picture
Sounds like you get a good idea for a character or maybe even a theme for a story but you begin writing the actual guts of the story before you've got the whole plot there. Sound familiar? I used to do this too. But then I learned how to sketch a plot out before I began writing the actual story. It sounds incredibly boring to beginning writers because you are often keen to get into the guts of it, but getting your plot and characters together can be much more fun than writing the chapters. The great thing about creating the plot first in detail is that it's like completing your whole book very quickly which makes you feel very satisfied. It also makes writing your chapters very easy and you'll quickly finish a first draft book. PLUS you won't get to chapter 3 and suddenly have no idea about where to go next. So how do you build a plot? Well here's an easy process to follow. As much as I hate to advertise a book there is one that I've found to be indispensable for quick plotting. It's called "20 Master Plots and How to Build Them." This book gives a nice outline for the format of the most common plots. 1. Once you've got your basic idea have a little think about the type of plot that would best suit this idea. Rivalry, love, rescue etc... 2. I then read the summary for that type of plot and try and build my story around that format. Of course I make whatever changes are necessary but I make sure that the essential elements are there. This ensures my plot is tight, has a beginning, middle and end. 3. Once I've got the basic plot there I can then divide my book into chapters and think about the best scene for each chapter to portray to get my story across. 4. I write a short bullet point list for each chapter so I can easily see the skeleton of my story. All done. It's so much easier to stay motivated and on track when writing a long story like a novel when you've got an outline to go by. You can even write the chapters that interest you the most first and jump back to skipped chapters later. Because you've already got your outline done you can be sure that your story won't wander or fall into a dead end. I wrote an 80,000 teen romance novel using this method and it was invaluable in keeping my interest high and continuing to work.
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Ooops, sorry :-)
nitromoose
Anonymous's picture
Aww bless :D *chuckle*
Becky
Anonymous's picture
Hehe. Why I'm laughing, I don't know, I'm only two years older than you! All I can say, is stick with it.
MIYA
Anonymous's picture
I HAVE STARTED A NOVEL BUT I AM COMPLETELY STUCK. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE STORY IS GOING TO BE ABOUT AND I NEED SOME IDEAS TO FILL IN THE BLANKS. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY?
Widget
Anonymous's picture
Right, go to the software section, it might not be to everyone's taste but it will jerk you in the right order, Imo, if you want to use other mediums as suggested, that is alright by me. First start with an idea, right. Good idea to create an ideas file or diary. Now create your ordinary world, the here and now, the one inhabited by you and your allies, well character hero and all that, think of some attributes. You could buy the software, New Novelist to get a start then when you feel moderately confident, emulate the others tips and use the attributes and build it up then go into characters, hero, hero's helper, alien, alien's helper[not necessarily sci fi, depends on your bent of course then to incidental characters. Plot your story sequence and scenes and away you go. That should keep you out of mischief for some time I should imagine. Good luck and hope all goes well. I am pleased you are entering the literary world. Widget
Evohn Sartorius
Anonymous's picture
I have all the material ready for a book. I want it to be along the line that Erma Bombeck wrote. It is about real people & funny things that happened to me . I had a dating service and it gave me a lot of laughs. I would like to have someone to polish it up with me. Would anyone out there be interested in doing so? If any interest just email me & we will talk. Thanks Evohn
Flamedancer
Anonymous's picture
Do you start a story, then find you can't continue? I find a quick plan works well. Then again, I haven't finished a story yet! ;-)
anne freeman
Anonymous's picture
Hi there I am new to this site but if you have trouble with writers block try the "what if" What if the world ended, What if the sun never shined. Do you get my message . Hope it works for you.
Brownie_1
Anonymous's picture
Jesus - 11! At 11 I was still climbing trees and thought books were something you threw at an older sister... Can I have your autograph now... before your famous... blimey... Jan
Lia
Anonymous's picture
I'm the same, except I'm 9!! I been searchin for ages 4 help on writin, i can neva write stories wat r gud, ne help?Imo wrote: > I love writing. I'm good at it, whats more. But I dont' know > how to write a book, if you grasp my meaning. I'm only 11 you > see, so I am NOT very experienced. > I can start a really good book, but I don't know where > to carry on from there. PLEASE HELP, > Imo. ^^Like me!^^
Bob Roberts
Anonymous's picture
Well, I'm new to this writing business...aged 46...three wives down the pan...ex-army...comfortably off and living in the quaint village of Come-to-Piddle... I've started a diary, which I scribble down last thing at night, but sometimes find it all a bit hard-going...you know, trying to put the old thoughts down onto the old paper...the brandy helps, of course...and a bottle of half-decent scotch...but I usually end up sprawled out on the carpet in front of the fire, with only a few words written... Any other literary-inducing tonics you can suggest ?
Brownie_1
Anonymous's picture
Bob, I find mornings better. I'm fresh and rested and can set to a few 1,000 words. Then again I havent three wives behind me and a few years in the army. I have had other challenges in my life to write about though and find I'm never short of a story or two. The diary is a good idea, I even thought of giving it a try myself, being of "Bridget Jones", criteria, single and a little over weight. I should be able to manage a some interesting scene daily. Come to Piddle sounds quaint. Can't you write about the ducks and the village duck pond or something? OR one of your wives falling into the duck pond? *Blushes* that could be an interesteing slant...>>> I'd give the brandy a miss though - and opt for the odd tipple, bad for the old liver, so I hear. Now you dont want to end up dead and famous now do you...
Bob Roberts
Anonymous's picture
Brownie - Thanks for your thoughts - and how strange that you should mention the Come-to-Piddle duck pond! There was indeed an afternoon - back in late 99 - when I was tempted to push Mrs Bob number 2 into the murky depths as she leaned forward with her bag of bread. It was only the sudden appearance of the imposing Myrtle Breakwell, (a former matron, struck off for abusing her patients, now born-again and a rock of the Piddle Parish church) that stopped me. I gave her a wave and flashed her my dentures. Mrs Bob number 2 turned round at this point and said: "Are you trying it on with that old slapper, Bob Roberts ?" Even though I tried to assure her otherwise, she promptly kneed me in the groin. If only I could write this up in my damned diary...! I say, Brownie - why don't you hot foot it over to Castle Roberts for my Xmas doo-dah ? There's booze and a finger buffet...I might even be tempted to show you a few moves !!! (wink, flash)
Daphne
Anonymous's picture
Hi Imo. I think every writer has had the same problem as you at some point: we start off all enthusiastically, and then it kind of fades... I've personally started 4 novels to date, written the first few chapters and then run out of things to say and given up. Once, I actually finished one, but it was absolutely terrible and very very embarrasing. All 40,000 words of it! Only now, after many years of writing, do I feel I'm on the right track and have something good in my hands (fingers crossed!) So, basically, you just have to keep at it. I think the secret to writing a good book is having an idea you feel commited to and very passionate about. What you write has to mean something to, and interest you enough to keep going til the end. Most ideas only last a couple of thousand words -but you'll hopefully have a few that will be strong enough to turn into this book of yours. And when you do, let me know, cause I'd love to read it. Best of luck to you, Daphne
jarett
Anonymous's picture
Try this page for writing tips, might help some. www.alanbrown.com/JustForKids/R_Tips.html [%sig%]
Bob the Builder
Anonymous's picture
A very good site. Thanks.
Amber Brown
Anonymous's picture
Hi! I am a writer working on my first novel! I am trying to learn what it is that publishers want to see...i have published a few poems and my mother is an author and I just need help getting started my book is based for all ages about one teenagers take on divorce and the affects of divorce on children and families! I am looking for some assistance from anyone who is willing to help! Thanks, Amber Brown<
Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Amber, try this:
Eammon
Anonymous's picture
Ive got a story to tell,where is a good place to start and maybe find someone to help me write it?..any help or ideas would be very cool.. Thanks.. Eammon...:-) [%sig%]
Topic locked