Fallen Heroes

1 post / 0 new
Fallen Heroes

Fallen Heroes
The score was equal. One more goal would decide the fate of the two teams. The dark cloud of silence- overpoweringly- fell over the audience, for the ball was with Alexander. The man whose captaincy was over the weakest team, which had ever, played. Big Green did not even stand a remote chance of winning against the Sk8terbois, and the audience was aware of this fact. Richard, the captain of the Sk8erbois,made a pass at the ball and shot it towards the net. As the ball made its way to the net, the audience held its breath. The goalkeeper in Big Green made an attempt to stop the ball, but failed miserably.
Alexander fell down- as the audience applauded and the Sk8erbois expressed how elated they were- simultaneously. He could not believe his fate. This was the tenth match of the season, and Big Green had lost it yet again. As he cursed his fate and looked at the crestfallen face of their coach, he could not fight back his tears. He had failed, yet once more, to deliver the promise of victory, which he had made to their coach.
Alexander Timmons thought that he would experience a break down, and he most certainly did not know how he could refrain it from occurring. It was at his reliance, that the coach had Big Green play the match against Sk8erbois- due to prime reason- Jeff could get hurt.
Jeff Day- a goalkeeper- had been fired out of Sk8erbois the previous year, as the coach was looking for a more 'powerful' and 'young' player, who could live up to his expectations. Presenting an empirical argument did not contribute to refrain Jeff's leaving the Sk8erbois. Big Green had accepted him mainly because of Alexander's persuasion. Jeff had assured the team of the fact that he would serve them well, whatsoever the circumstances may be.
As Jeff made his way out of the field, and saw the crestfallen faces of the other team members, all his hopes got crushed beneath the heavy bricks of disappointment. Fighting against a team he once belonged to was emotionally hard for him.
"Boys this is the tenth match of the season, and we've lost it yet again. I'm aware of how upset you are, but¦.well, it was all God willing. We'll make it next time. Alexander looked at the coach-closely. The wrinkles of disappointment on his face were clearly noticeable. How Coach Wheeton could fight back his tears, was remarkable. "Practices tomorrow. We better buck up, declared the coach-simply.
None of the players felt like speaking. The players could not pull themselves together. They fought a battle between disappointment and themselves. It was another battle, which they lost. After losing ten matches in a row, these were unavoidable consequences, which none of them were not prepared for.
That night, Todd Wilkins, lay on his bed, gazing at the sky from his window. He had had, a long and emotionally disturbing day, and he was most certainly not aware of how many more hard days laid ahead. He thoroughly enjoyed his work in Big Green as a quarterback. But something was not right today. Somehow, he started to think that life might not be as easy as he thought. Somehow, his work in Big Green did not seem like so much fun. He had consequently developed tolerance to his parents' constant fights, and he was quite prone to seeing his father beating his mother and his mother crying. This did not warp or affect his psyche in any way- as it used to when he was a child. With the appearance of dusk, Todd's hopes followed the last rays of the sun.
Paul Trevor, another quarterback in Big Green wept that night, as, according to his daughter- who had started smoking and taking drugs- her father was her worse foe. Paul was vexed at this statement, but he too, like Todd, had developed tolerance- only in a much more different way.
"Alexander, we've discussed this- at length- you've got to work on your tackling. Paul Trevor- why do you look like you've just eaten a sock? David, where is your mind? I mean, we've just had one practice, and I can already see that you are least interested in playing. Um¦.Jeff? What's up, guys? Mr. Wheeton shot a volley of questions, as the players distractedly looked around. "What exactly is wrong, guys? David, tell me- what's wrong? As Mr. Wheeton was exasperated by the lack of response, the players looked uncomfortable and disturbed.
"Coachie, its nothing, OK? We're just a little stoked after yesterday's match. That's it, said Paul- instead of David, as the coach had asked- with what once could call feigned self- assurance. "What the-? Something is definitely wrong. Tell me- quick! You could tell, that the coach was completely getting impatient.
"Okay. Lets do this again. Alexander, what's wrong? Verbalize. You know you can't fib with me. Mr. Wheeton was trying his best to keep his cool.
"Its just that, yesterday, we lost. It was my entire fault if I was a good player, I could have shot the winning goal for Big Green, Alexander explained. He knew he could not fib. Not with Mr. Wheeton.
"Uh- huh. Paul?
"My daughter- started taking drugs. Called me a bad father- last night.
"Uh-oh. Todd?
"Mom and dad. Separating. Heard some pretty colorful stuff last night.
"Huh. Good. You guys have finally verbalized what's eating you. Now- back to work. And one healthy advice for you guys- keep you personal difference aside. If you want to win the second match against the Sk8erbois-, which, by the way, is 20 days later-, you guys better forget your family. Consider Big Green as your family.
As the days passed, the players got out of their depression and started working hard. The depression of losing ten matches in a row did not dampen the spirits of the players, precisely a fortnight before the match. The players worked hard day and night, in order to achieve their prime goal- victory. The players were aware of the fact, that this was their only chance to broaden their horizons.
The Day of Judgment had arrived. The hordes of fans sitting in the stadium and cheering for their teams could be heard miles away from the stadium. Meanwhile, the changing room was filled with confident and hard working faces of the players. "Boys, the day you've all been working hard for, had arrived, Coach Wheeton said. "Best of Luck, guys!
Alexander led the team out to the field. The players stayed in the best of spirits till half time. By half time, the score was- Big Green-3 and Sk8erbois-1.
After half time, the players considered the next 45 minutes as a matter of life and death. As the referee blew his whistle, the players were ready to fight the biggest battle of their lives. Alexander followed the coach Wheeton's advice, and tackled Richard well. As he shot the ball towards the net, a quarterback of the Sk8erbois, who was further tackled by Paul, blocked the ball. Paul shot this ball towards the net with every intention of blowing the goalkeeper away. He succeeded to quite an extent. He shot a goal. The only thing he did not succeed in was that the goalkeeper did not blow away from the shot.
This goal made the audience thrilled. The goalkeeper of the Sk8erbois shot this ball towards the opposite side of the field. A player of the Sk8erbois shot the ball toward the net, only to greet the sight of Jeff blocking his goal. Jeff shot this ball towards Todd, who kicked the ball when he was close enough to the net. David kicked the ball into the net, and shot another goal. Technically, David and Todd shot the winning goal for Big Green.
The referee blew his whistle to the thunderous applause of the audience. Alexander fell down. One could see tears in his eyes. Unlike the last match, these tears were filled with joy. This could also be said for the rest of the players.
"Boys, this is the eleventh match of the season, and we've won it. I'm aware of the fact that you wanted to give the others a chance, but it was all God- Coach Wheeton could not go on further, as the players were laughing hysterically. "Gotcha, guys! Well done!
Paul got the news that his parents were separating. Todd's daughter apologized to him. Alexander and Todd felt like winners.
That night, with the appearance of dusk, the hopes of the players rose with the appearance of the moon. That night. All the players felt like winners. All regrets followed the last rays of the sun¦.