Contrary to popular belief...

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Contrary to popular belief...

I'm not dead, in prison, paralysed on indisposed in any other way. My absence has been a result of my being bedazzled by the too-good-to-be-true deal offered by Talk Talk. I actually signed up with them on the 3rd of August and was finally connected a few days ago.

I made a fatal mistake in answering 'yes' when asked by my previous ISP if i was 'migrating' to a new supplier. I did however also insist that I wanted my contract terminated at the end of September. 'Oh that will happen, don't worry', the bastard said. 'I'll send you a MAC code, that will make your change-over seamless and painless'. What he DIDN'T say was that if the MAC code wasn't activated within 30 days it expires and they WON'T terminate the existing contract. They also left their 'marker' on my line preventing anyone else from connecting to it. Their 'techie' said they won't remove it until I settle their bill! I finally called BT and demanded it be removed or I'll have the line cut off. BT finally cleared the line 3 weeks ago.

Talk Talk were so inundated with lemmings that their system ground to a virtual standstill, and the MAC code did indeed expire. The weren't overly bothered though, as they were already billing me for the new account. They didn't tell me the code had expired either, I had to find that out for myself.

The upshot was that my old ISP left me connected and billed me for another month, or at least they thought did. I had already cancelled the DD. There followed a lengthy exchange of letters with them demanding money and me telling them to kiss my arse. After several trips to the nearest Carphone Warehouse shop they finally ended my 3 month nightmare.

The moral of the story is, NEVER ask for a MAC code. Terminate your cntract and go to a fresh supplier with no current contract, that way the MAC code is not necessary.

Right, now I've got that off my chest, who wants a fight?

Ah, I believe the same is about to happen to me. The guy who was billed for our Internet connection has moved out, and they wouldn't let us change the names, so he's cancelled it and his direct debit to them, fearing (quite rightly) that they'll go on charging him if he doesn't. Despite the fact we're currently connected with them, they want us to pay a massive connection fee to start a new account. Our solution at the moment is to bury our heads in the sand, so don't be surprised if I disappear for a while. ~ I'll Show You Tyrants * Fuselit * The Prowl Log * Woe's Woe
missiwhopi? hello newbie
Hey Martin, it's good to see that at least one of the REALLY old faces are still here. It's gotta be time we organised another get-together. Newbie my arse!

Nice to have you back - I was begining to worry! So, what do you want to fight about, then?
Enzo v2.0
Anonymous's picture
Hello Mississippi Good to see you around again. I had a similar problem with those utterly incompetent thieving bastards at Pip*x, who charged me £93 to terminate an already-terminated contract. This is after first confirming there would be no charge, and then (after charging me £93) emailng me to tell me they will charge me £50. To top it all off, the whole cancellation process happens by email - there must have been 5 emails apeice - and as soon as I complained about them stealing from me they stopped replying. Like I said, utterly incompetent theiving bastards. "Negotiations" are ongoing. Enzo.. Read my rubbish novel as it happens! http://somesolitude.wordpress.com/
You think you've got problems George; I forked out thirty quid for a wreath.
Hey George...so you made it out of Tennessee in one piece? Visit me http://www.radiodenver.org/

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

jab1666
Anonymous's picture
Hey, Mis-an-throp-pi. I havne't been here ahwhile, myself. I need to get back in the game. Compooters...what we would do without 'em? Hope all is well. I'm going through a sad period right now so it's nice to see your name. Agh. Who knew?
Welcome back Mississushi. It's all been happening while you've been away. My advice, get yourself a Geiger counter mate.
Aw shucks, there was me looking fer a fight and you're being nice to me, not that I ever squared up tp any of you lot. Lisa honey, I was just being provocative, but then you knew that, still I'll engage in a bit of arm wrestling with you if you're free. Thirty quid fer a wreath, Eamonn, seems to be a bit extravagant to me, 'specially as the person you bought it for can't see it! Actually that makes me think that wreaths and flowers are bought not for the departed, but to show those still here that we're not who they think we are. Gary, it wasn't getting OUT of Tennessee that was a problem, it was getting into the country in the first place. The immigration bastards at Charlotte gave me a real tough time. They pulled me out of line, sat me in a holding room until I'd missed my connection to Nashville, gave me the third degree and then stamped my passport. As I left I asked them why they picked on me, I mean, I ask you, do I look like a possible terrorist? They said it was because I'd been into the country ten times in the last few years, through cities all over the country, four times in the last nine months. I pointed out that I'd gone home on at least nine of those ocassions. They weren't amused and I'm expecting more trouble next time. Enzo, it's no good being nice to ISP's and giving 'em cash, tell 'em to go screw themselves. Sky TV are another lot that try it on. My son's Sky box went AWOL a couple of weeks ago and they wanted to charge him £70 for a new one. He told them to cancel his account and they sent him a free one rather than lose the account. They did the same to me a couple of years back. Sorry to hear you're having a tough time tim Alan, it's good to see your name there among the others too. Stay positive mate and remember, it's only the bad times that make the good times good. Bruce, it's been a long time since I saw your name anywhere. I still have that video of you performing at Extra Time. Mail me an address and I'll get around to copying it for you.

Hi Mississippi Thanks for the offer. I have replied via email to your message. Not sure whether you were refering to an email or postal address, so ended up sending both. I had no idea you were shooting video. Thought it was stills. What a great surprise. Hope all is well. Bruce
Topic locked