Are we knackered without Rooney?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are we knackered without Rooney?

For our American cousins: Wayne Rooney is Babe Ruth and Muhammed Ali rolled into one. And he's only 20 and built like a brick shithouse, but dances around other soccer players like Margot Fonteyn. (She used to play for Man Chester City)
Why suddenly, because our talisman WILL NOT FEATURE IN THE WORLD CUP AT ANY STAGE AT ALL are we downhearted. Who won the European Championships? Greece. Scolari Shmolari. He couldn't beat them. (Oh; for the Americans - Greece is not actually part of Europe. Yeh I know it's complicated.) And didn't Daneland who couldn't even qualify through the group stages of the European Championships, win it that same year? Now you Donald Bumsfelts out there, this is 'old Europe' we do things different, every loser is a winner.
Think Marshall McLuhan on this one:Less is more; and more means less. We have: Michael Owen, one of the deadliest strikers in the world. Frank Lampard. Steven Gerrard. Ashley Cole: Paul Robinson. Ashley Wright Phillips. Aaron Lennon (he should go as should Stuart Downing) if Germany had the talent oozing out of this country that we have, we'd be talking about who Germany would be meeting in the final not, how are we going to extricate ourselves from this mess.
Yes Wayne Rooney is the heir to the throne of Pele, Maradonna, George Best, Cruyff et al but give the guy a break. Whoops, that's already happened!

There will be no optimism. We are ruined.
I think that the very idea that one player will be the difference between winning and losing will defeat us before we step onto the plane. It is a team game and when England put such responsibility on the soulders of the youngsters we always suffer. Im thinking Gazza Beckham Owen Each of them were touted as the best thing since sliced bread, and each did very well..... but we never won it. If we gave as much kudos to the team as a whole as we give to the current golden balls boy, we could have won it a few times in the last couple of decades.
I hate to say it but I think we may be scuppered jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Is this that game where everyone wears funny shorts and runs around kicking a ball? Sounds like a sport for the "special olympics" Can't use their hands, might as well cut their arms off. That would be cool, watching all those guys nubby one another with their stumps.

Share your state secrets at...
http://www.amerileaks.org

oooh Denver ...this bull ignores your red flag! jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Be nice Jude...I'll poke your eye out with my blunt stub. Ummmmph....there...take that you sissy.

Take the jewel out of the crown and all you are left with is scrap metal. It's a sad day for footy - i was looking forward to Rooney V Ronalaldhino / Henry.
Real football is a game for heroes, unlike American Gridiron, where they won't even go on the pitch without air cover. Actually, I've never understood why soccer isn't bigger in the USA. Most of the population are either descendants of immigrants from Europe, where soccer is huge, or Hispanic,and the game is even bigger is South America. Pray for Wayne.
Soccer is very popular here...as a kids sport. Thus the phrase..."Soccer mom" The general populace doesn't consider it a major league sport. Football (US Style), Baseball, Basketball and Hockey are the only real sports in this country. Everything is for niche fans. Personally, I'll take baseball over any other sport in the world. It's the only sport I can watch on television, take a nap, wake up and not have missed a thing. What more can a guy ask for? A little "chin music" perhaps.

funny, we consider rounders a kids sport here.

"It's the only sport I can watch on television, take a nap, wake up and not have missed a thing. " Sounds just like cricket, which was once described as the only game you can play and put on weight.
well seeing as every other bull went for Denver's red flag.... John Cleese put it perfectly You should stop playing American "football." There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no one else plays "American" football. You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football. Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like nancies). We are hoping to get together at least a US Rugby sevens side by 2005. You should stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the 'World Series' for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.15% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. Instead of baseball, you will be allowed to play a girls' game called "rounders," which is baseball without fancy team strip, oversized gloves, collector cards or hotdogs. jude "Cacoethes scribendi" http://www.judesworld.net

Hahaha...well said Jude, funniest and best post I have read for ages.
Old Cleesey had it right there, although rugby is still a game for toffs who can't cut it at football. Rooney is a bad loss for England, but then as someone said at sometime, the overall quality of the team is the best for a long time, at least as long as I've been alive. Above France, maybe Spain if they didn't have David Villa. I still think that, given the age of Brazil's defence and if Ronnie decides not to play well, England may win it. That would hurt, oh yes. Richard x

Richard x

Who said: Rugby is a game for thugs played by gentlemen and football is a game for gentlemen played by thugs?

a brief google search reveals Rugby is a beastly game played by gentlemen; soccer is a gentlemen's game played by beasts; football is a beastly game played by beasts. Henry Blaha Who was apparently a rugby player, I don't know when he said it but I'm guessing it was a long time ago

Topic locked