Things we don't

35 posts / 0 new
Last post
Things we don't

An attempt to learn a little more about the contributors and also social experiment to see whether posters are 'half-full' or 'half-empty' (or just half-cut)

I don't like :-

Slowness. I'm a big time freak. I can't bear waiting behind people in a queue who don't bother getting any money out until they know exactly what they owe. I can't bear watching someone count out seventy-eight pence worth of change (give them a pound - it's a SHOP they HAVE change). Equally, I can't bear my own impatience. The wearing away of my attention-span. If I'm watching football on TV I change channels if the ball goes out for a throw-in - how feeble is that? I recommend James Gleick's book "Faster" for a good overview of all of this.

John Wayne and Elvis. I always link the two together in my mind, for no logical reason. I love America to bits, but they just touch the wrong nerve with me, America as theme park. Was this man really the son of GAWWWD ?

Gabrielle
Anonymous's picture
Being rejected.
mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Don't you lot know how much aggravation being a whinger can bring on you! I'm virtually speechless! (but not quite)
Taj Hayer
Anonymous's picture
Too much to say - and they're always changinng anyway.
Cousin Hilda
Anonymous's picture
folks as leave a reet mess in me shop. Southerners, most likely.
Barry Wood
Anonymous's picture
Baked beans and rude, obnoxious people. In either order. :-]
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
oh? are we allowed to say more than three things? goody! other things i don't are telephone sales pitches that begin 'i hope i haven't caught you at an inconvenient time', garlic powder, football supporters, aftershave, fast food, vivisectionists, animal acts, factory farmers, nylon sheets, soap operas, mobile phones that play silly tunes (mine plays what shall we do with the drunken sailor)...oh, have to go now, there's someone interesting at the door...
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
...sorry about that, where was I? oh yes, things we don't (cont'd): people who call round for a chat when i'm working, broccoli, coconut, macrame, people who ask me my zodiac sign, people who demand respect, doing the washing and people who pretend to be stupid.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Mmmmmmm Mandy, l agree have you noticed that people who demand respect are usually the least deserving of it? I also dont like soup (thereby hangs a tale) I'm into my stride now, grumpy today.. people who dont smoke and theatrically fuff yours away with pained expressions circus clowns cider people who say "sometimes i just forget to eat" gardening, housework, brooches, people who overload themselves with gold jewellery eg sovereign rings, picalilli, gherkins in macdonalds burgers, macdonalds burgers (but sometimes needs must), wasting money on things like re-roofing when I could be buying more shoes, lavender, earache and toothache, Whitney 'why sing 1 note when l can sing 65' Houston *puffing*
Ohhhh,MATRON!
Anonymous's picture
I hate harlesden, I hate all men, I hate the Beatles and shopping and Tarmac, Buses that never come, I hate the Queen Mum, polos , detectives,clover and Racing.
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
You're right about respect, Liana. Ali G seems to have summed it up by making fun of it. Yes, clowns! I completely forgot that I detest clowns, mimes and most street theatre. Was that *puffing* of yours a sign of anger, Liana, or was it from that fag clasped between your lips? It's OK, you may smoke in my (internet) presence and I promise I'll not *faff* your smoke away...
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
what i like best of all is getting a lock in at Ta Chucks and sitting there with my good chum WH Audenary talking about things whilst Cousin Hilda passes a cloth over the counter in that desultory way she has ... you know fag in corner of mouth ...
Liana
Anonymous's picture
OOOOhhhhh!!! She smokes!! Does she do lock ins over there??? May l join you and WH, Fishwife?
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
please do Princess ... we often discuss matters of National Importance ... and Hilda will always offer her embassy round ... gets them duty free ... some dodgy deal involving one of her relations and the ferry into Hull ... i wouldnt enquire too closely but her collection of under the counter exotic liquers from foreign parts is astonishing ....
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
... and hilda is beside herself over the prospective new licensing laws ... she says being legal will take all the fun out
Titch
Anonymous's picture
of it?
IFB
Anonymous's picture
i would like to scotch the rumour that a certain "member" of ABC tales has today caused an outbreak of "news" by masquerading as Ronnie Biggs and sending an email to scotland yard ...
Maih Nayum's To...
Anonymous's picture
Cousin Hilda's Cousin Hildy Lou Aih hayut lily-livered liberals. Stoodents. Nucular prowtesters. Paw peeple. Haih taxis, no, aih meyun taxes. Small-screen TVs. Comyernists. Draft dodgers. Walkin. Books without pitchers. Black stillettas. Maih husbind, Elmer, who's pokin' his secetary and thinks aih don't know. His secetary, Shandi Lear, who's gonna get hers mighuty soon, aih tell yuh. That Eminem faggot. Croolty tah animals, exceptin' Fillipino Box Spring Hawgs. And husbinds. And secetaries.
robert
Anonymous's picture
addendum 1 insomnia
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
the beatles for starters ... earl grey tea ... speed cameras ...
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Celery...I cant abide celery....its the most hideous thing known to man. A master of disguise when its cooked, celery, cons itself into your mouth pretending to be an innocuous piece of chopped onion, before EXPLODING into vicious celery flavour and ruining the meal whilst chortling with amusement at its cleverness. I cant trust anyone that says they like celery, so beyond comprehension is it for me. Worse, are the people who say, l dont mind it either way really....it doesnt taste of much. Doesnt taste of much?!?!?!? BLECHHH... I watch people at parties, sprinkling salt along the stalk, and then crunching away, all the stringy bits dangling, in horror, like l am forced to watch a hideous road accident, unable to tear my eyes away. Worse -adding insult to injury, its the only thing that uses more calories to eat, than it contains. Well thats about right, couldnt be something like chocolate that makes you thin, could it?
andrew pack
Anonymous's picture
Have much the same views on mushrooms - is a source of constant rage to begin eating lovely lasagne, only to find fungus concealed within - did I ask for a MUSHROOM lasagne? With me it is the spongey texture which is most repellent. And don't get me started on eggs - I can't be in a kitchen with someone cooking an egg (alright in cakes, but poaching or frying - yuck ! ) I couldn't eat a poached egg if a five book and movie deal was riding on it.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
Though I like mushrooms.....I have a friend, who lives in terror of what he calls "the evil black slitty bits" :o)
Mattie
Anonymous's picture
Police taking away our civil liberties, that really winds me up...bias news reporting...the Daily Mail...I wonder how the Police would feel if we rounded them all up and hit them with big black sticks...because they were alledgdly violent...ironing shirts because it's hard...getting up in the morning is a real problem... giving up smoking because it's boring and I like sitting in pubs having a fag...feeling you have to do things for no real reason, and knowing there is no real reason, but still doing it because you feel you have to...and then getting cross because you were weak...Worthing winds me up especially...drivers who are incapable of indicating so I can't pull on to the roundabout...I have a feeling that I could go on forever but I'm feeling better already !!
Tony Cook
Anonymous's picture
whingeing elder daughters, missing dodgy kneed sons and 15 year old younger ones! Private joke (refers to previous writer).
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
bald men hairy men fat men
Mattie
Anonymous's picture
That leaves you with very few options, doesn't it ? I didn't like hariy men until I encountered one, and bald men are lovely to stroke.
ivoryfishbone's...
Anonymous's picture
ivory instructs me to say ... mandy .. save time ... just write MEN
mark yelland-brown
Anonymous's picture
As a balding, podgy hairy man I feel suddenly incredibly rejected! Hang on must pull myself together.mmmm Can't stand posy pop groups, groups with `attitude`, it's all been done before and is so passe(with an acute). Why can't they just admit that there blown away about being on top of the pops? Greens or broccolli(can't even spell it!) Tight fitting clothes. (see the above) Football referees who think they're the most important person on the pitch. Milk, anywhere abroad. Tube trains because I hate having to sit opposite someone, especially if they're sitting with their legs open. People who hate easily.
stormy petrel
Anonymous's picture
In no particular order People with no sense of humour People with no sense of humour but think they are the wittiest thing alive Overweight men with sweaty gussetted jogging pants who invade my body space Hairy women All other drivers People who knock on my door or phone me up trying to sell me the latest whatever doodah thingummy piece of crap Liars
robert
Anonymous's picture
catholic weddings, dancing, hats on people who are neither children nor pensioners, wind chimes, happy birthday banners draped over road signs, being asked for directions, people with 'flu, loud people, boxing, round shoelaces, advertising, glamour
curua
Anonymous's picture
Bad films, lager louts, pubs where the landlord comes and stands by your table at EXACTLY twenty past eleven and gives you evil looks until you leave, mornings, abba, David Blunkett.
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
blue cheese, bad grammar, being skint, being ill, Galliano (the drink, not the designer) lambrusco, self-obsessed people and London - particularly the tube when it's hot and your face is pressed against someone's BO laden arm-pit
richardw
Anonymous's picture
people thinking that the beatles are better than the stones, and noone knowing about big star who were better than both, then there are also the byrds... primal scream not being acknowledged as best group alive. peas dry mushrooms that arent in sauce like they should be. kissing smokers if you havent been out already, it's very apparent. cricket and golf being referred to as sports, instead of exercise for the unfit. americans calling football "soccer" drinking sherry at nine thirty am and having an exceedingly dry throat while at the computer :) oh, and lager, drambuie, people who ask for coke in their malt whisky. people complaining about what they dont like :)
fey
Anonymous's picture
work
Topic locked