The Alchemist

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Alchemist

Hi

'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho

I first read this book about 3 years ago, recomended by a good friend. It made quite an impression on me at the time.. probably due for another read soon if I can find it..

Since, then it keeps popping up in the most odd places.. each time I will hear people rail on about what it means to them..
Most recently on Radio 4, in a booky type programme.

It is a fable about a shepherd in Spain fairly contented with his lot but who gives up his sheep to go and search/live out his 'destiny'. This takes him across numerous adventures in the desert and encounters with an Alchemist and... ha.. but that would be telling. It can be read as a simple fable or else dripping with insights and undertones on every page.

So question then.. has anybody here read the book and if so would be interesting how you came by it and what you made of it..

simundo
Anonymous's picture
Now I read this after Lethario gave it to me. I really could not stand this whole ' follow your dreams' rubbish. It was a good and well thought out story but I hate all that crap about you'll always get what you want if you follow your dreams and it's your destiny rubbish. That is the only impression it made on me. If it was mine, I'd burn it!
Liana
Anonymous's picture
yup.
philip_craggs
Anonymous's picture
I've got 'The Alchemist' on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I've read 'Veronika...' and really enjoyed it, and i figured with all that hype i might as well take a look at 'tA'. But i'm not even remotely 'new age' so i don't know how i'll respond to it.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
I did read it....I was recommended it by a friend a year or so ago.....she said much the same, that it had *changed her life* etc... I guess i must be missing something....it didnt do much for me, except irritate me. I dont like these preachy new age things much....
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Vernica Tries to Die by the same bloke is *brilliant* though - about a girl who attempts suicide, survives but is told she only ahs 7 days to live. It shows how she re-evaluates her life and is *beautiful* and very uplifting. I STRONGLY recommend it - not keen on his other stuff though.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
sounds much better......
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
Both of those stories sound the same to me: voyage of self-discovery. I've often seen the Alchemist book and thought about reading it, but so far, nothing. It's on my list. I do, however, love the whole alchemy thing. There are so many wonderful novels involving alchemy, the philosopher's stone, the cabal, etc. I even have a book about alchemy itself, the symbolism etc.
Karl Wiggins
Anonymous's picture
Without a doubt The Alchemist would have to be in my top five. I've read it several times and am (slowly) reading it to my little boy. I love the ending, I love the Mistral, I love the love story, I love the "journey". An incredible book! About four years ago Paulo Coelho gave a reading in a chuch just off Piccadilly that used to do New Age type things. I went along and met him. He was a cool old man and signed a copy of the book for me. Recommend the book to anyone. Don't die without reading this book.
Liana
Anonymous's picture
with all due respect Karl mate, I wouldnt recommend it to anyone!!
roberta
Anonymous's picture
Dear fellow reader, I really would like to read this book someday when perhaps I have finished writing my book. Portugal has been a fascination for me personally since my brother in law Rex and his Wife Bonnie were there as part of thier honeymoon. existentialisim has never really appealed to my sensibilities unless it is in humour. Ben Okri's spiritual journey is one exception If you like spiritual journeys check out Astonishing the Gods. The cats say hi, merry merry purry purry and a happy new year.
Lethario
Anonymous's picture
This weird. Never heard of this novel until I got it for Christmas...and now I find a thread about it...New age rules
Topic locked