Words

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Words

My all-time never to be changed list of top 5 favourite words:

Flannel
Surely everyone’s favourite, just for the sheer pleasure of vocalising it. Say it aloud, feel happy.

Sibling
A word that need not have been invented. Cherish its existence, but never use it. People will think you’re trying to be clever.

Bizarre
Sadly spoilt by over-use but still as handsome as ever, and as phonetically pleasing.

Robert
The only word that assures me that my parents can’t be as crap as I sometimes think they are.

Dishevelled
So sexy it steams.

ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
difficult to say what my favourites are .... will have to ponder this .... but i can say my most hated word and that is: BASICALLY *shudders*
mandylifeboats
Anonymous's picture
I like words you can chew: lascivious, luscious, sumptuous, subliminal.
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
mmmmmm love those ones mandylifeboats .... some favourite words .... trounce surrender rummage quiver smug *spots narrative thread*
Dishevelled
Anonymous's picture
Hi Robert
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
How can I not contribute to this one! That Mandy sounds like just the kind of woman I'm looking for! I've always thought 'angleberry' was a brilliant word, but Ivory 'trounces' everything, if she would only 'surrender' as I 'rummage' through her 'quiver' with a 'smug' look on my face!
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
mississippi you are incorrigible!
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
And you my dear are provocative!
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Oooh - love provovative, Mississippi (or should that be provocative Mississippi?) Other top words 1 Firkle 2 Incorrigible (for its air of naughtiness) 3 Cynical (it somehow sounds like it means) 4 Gothic (seedy, dark, hidden mystery, reminds me of my uni days) 5 Consanguinity (say it out loud - it's perfectly formed) Hated words 1 Duty (again, sounds like it means - somehow smug and dull) 2 Synergy (it's a shampoo, not a way of working!) 3 Solutions In fact any jargon is dreadful
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Can't help agreeing about the jargon Luverly, there I was in the pub only last night, put my pint on the bar whilst I communicated with nature and what do you know? When I returned my jar had gone!
richardw
Anonymous's picture
aegis swell plinth erudite veracity hated: fontanelle richard
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
i love the word plinth ... only because it reminds me of the Plinth of Superiority and its near cousin the Pedestal of Virtue .... tho my favourite has to be The Cupboard of Indecision (with its door half open) any suggestions for others?
gabrielle
Anonymous's picture
The unmade bed of sloth The empty bed of desertion The beckoning bed of desire The warm damp bed of satiety
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
aaaaah ... i love the Unmade Bed of Sloth ... but i want to know how you managed to get access to my room ....
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
I reckon it must have been through the window of opportunity!
Robert
Anonymous's picture
Hey Mississippi, good gag! Some of these words have been top. I have to keep my original top 5 intact, but space will be made in the top 10 for rummage, swell, and plinth. I'm interested by the idea of hated words - is it the words themselves or their usage which is hated? Fontanelle? Basically? If it's the word itself, I'll go for flout. It's ugly on the page and tastes awful. And if you say it within 10 miles of Birmingham it's ambiguous, because people think you mean float.
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
you can't beat rummage ... as for basically ... i hate the word itself but also its (over)usage ... people prefix almost any statement with it ... it is useless.... a waste of breath .... grrrrrrrr ......
richardw
Anonymous's picture
i forgot to add: shrub bugger
Robert
Anonymous's picture
Do you mean bugger is a favourite word or bugger, I forgot to add shrub?
richardw
Anonymous's picture
both
Icantkeepthisup
Anonymous's picture
I agree Ivory, you can't beat a good rummage!
Tajhayer
Anonymous's picture
I then hmmm strange nascency
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
What really winds me up is when people finish an article or whatever with the stupid Americanism 'Enjoy!' It makes my blood boil and tells me something about the user.
ivoryfishbone
Anonymous's picture
my friend myrt would like me to tell you that one of her most hated words is "saucy" she doesn't like the phrase "would you like to ...." when it is used meaning "please will you ...." certain management expressions such as "cascade" also get her goat ... she likes words such as snipped hello magnificent trundle grumpy woman bye for now enjoy!!!!!
Mississippi
Anonymous's picture
Arrrghhhhh!
annonymous grass
Anonymous's picture
plinth is my least favourite word. It reminds me of eggboxes.
Sue
Anonymous's picture
For word freaks: http://wordsmith.org One of the quotations on their A Word A Day (AWAD) sent to my computer is: "When Mum and Dad get upset, they become Dum and Mad." Incidentally, today's word is: bort Just thought you'd like to know that...
Topic locked