Query letter/synopsis

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Query letter/synopsis

I've read lots of conflicting information about query letters and synopsises (does anyone know what the correct plural form is for that word!). Do you think there is a 'right' and a 'wrong' way to do it? Or is it just a case of being lucky enough to combine the right approach with the right publisher/agent?

Andrea
Anonymous's picture
Make sure you address it to the right person. Keep it short, polite and to the point (don't ramble). Don't fawn, but don't be curt, either. Make sure the spelling's correct! Always enclose an SAE (if snailmail, obviously). That's about it, really (for the query letter, anyway).
got that, miles?
Anonymous's picture
at risk of overloading you with information, i would add sign your letter in ink [not pencil, crayon etc] and attach an appropriate value of stamps to the envelope if you manage all this, rememeber to PUT THE LETTER IN A POST BOX. otherwise you will have wasted all your hard work
Miles Fotherington
Anonymous's picture
:) thanks for that (esp. the postbox bit... i often forget that...)
fish
Anonymous's picture
on the Letters Academy course a question was asked of the lit agent and publisher ... how important is the synopsis? the lit agent said ... although she stressed this was a personal thing ... that she never reads them ... the message that came over to me was that the agent is interested in the quality of the work as seen in the first 3 chapters ... not in the synopsis ... but that it is a good idea to ring in advance and find out where the agent stands on this as some might like a synopsis ...
justyn_thyme
Anonymous's picture
I just sent a story off to a couple of magazines in the U.S. to see what happens. Having read the submission instructions for quite a few publications, most of them say: don't bother with a cover letter. Just send the story and make sure your name/address are on it. They also often stress that you should include a word count on the first page. So, I did use a cover letter, but it was very short, merely stating I was submitting the story for possible publication and that they could notify me via email of their decision. We'll see what happens. It seems that these magazines get as many as 900 submissions per month, some of them, so the odds are not good.
Topic locked