The Zoot-Suit and Style Warfare

1 post / 0 new
The Zoot-Suit and Style Warfare

Check this out:

"What about those fellows waiting still and silent there on the platform, so still and silent they clash with the crowd in their very immobility, standing noisy in their very silence; harsh as a cry of terror in their quietness? What about these three boys, coming now along the platform, tall and slender, walking with swinging shoulders in their well-pressed, too-hot-for-summer suits, their collars high and tight about their necks, their identical hats of black cheap felt set upon the crowns of their heads with a severe formality above their conked hair. It was as though I'd never seen their like before: walking slowly, their shoulders swaying, their legs swinging from their hips in trousers that ballooned upward from cuffs fitting snug about their ankles; their coats long and hip-tight with shoulders far too broad to be those of natural western men."

I just stumbled across this today and the writing captivated me. It's apparently from a book entitled "The Invisible Man" by Ralph Ellison. It was published in New York in 1947. Marvelous descriptions.