the poetry of donald rumsfeld

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
the poetry of donald rumsfeld

apologies if this has been mentioned before

apparently there is a book of rumsfeld "poems", each poem being an excerpt from one of rumsfeld's press briefings. you can find quite a few of them with google...here is my favourite so far

Glass Box
You know, it’s the old glass box at the —
At the gas station,
Where you’re using those little things
Trying to pick up the prize,
And you can’t find it.
It’s —

And it’s all these arms are going down in there,
And so you keep dropping it
And picking it up again and moving it,
But —

Some of you are probably too young to remember
those —
Those glass boxes,
But —

But they used to have them
At all the gas stations
When I was a kid.

a classic american poem for want of a little editing i think..

stormy
Anonymous's picture
Thanks for the tip bert, I spent a pleasant 20 mins googling away. Shame most of the ones I found date back to April and March. Hasn't he said anything since then? I think you have already posted the best one but I thought this worthy of a mention too, the second stanza (or whatever you call chunks of free verse) in particular, followed by the first line of the third thingy. Tipping Points No, I can’t say we’re at a tipping point. I think that there won’t be a single point. I think a tipping point involves a single human being that makes a conscious judgment that, “The guy’s going to be gone, that regime’s going to be over, and I want to be a part of something new and fresh going forward and not a part of that.” And it may happen to an individual, it may happen to a cluster of individuals, it may happen to an army unit, it may happen to a village — the bulk of a village. It’s unlikely to happen, you know, instantaneously across a country, because the facts on the ground are so different in different parts of that country today that I think it would be unlikely. I do think the concept of a tipping point is correct, and at some point, the aggregation of all of those individual tipping points having been reached, it will be in effect the country will have tipped. But it will be cumulative rather than at one moment.
Topic locked