write a novel in a month

1 post / 0 new
write a novel in a month

just discovered this http://www.nanowrimo.org/

basically it seems to be a not very serious competition to write a 50,000 word novel in November, if you complete it you get a certificate, I'm not sure how they spot cheats, or even if they bother.

here's a couple of lines from the faq:

Why are you doing this? What do you get out of it?
NaNoWriMo is all about the magical power of deadlines. Give someone a goal and a goal-minded community and miracles are bound to happen. Pies will be eaten at amazing rates. Alfalfa will be harvested like never before. And novels will be written in a month.

Do I have to start my novel from scratch on November 1?
Yes.

This sounds like a dumb, arbitrary rule, we know. But bringing a half-finished manuscript into NaNoWriMo all but guarantees a miserable month. You'll simply care about the characters and story too much to write with the gleeful, anything-goes approach that makes NaNoWriMo such a creative rush. Give yourself the gift of a clean slate, and you'll tap into realms of imagination and intuition that are out-of-reach when working on pre-existing manuscripts.

Can anyone participate in NaNoWriMo?
No. People who take their writing (and themselves) very seriously should probably go elsewhere. Everyone else, though, is warmly welcomed.

Being as it takes me a month to write a paragraph sometimes, I could definitely use the magic of a deadline. Looks like fun anyway.