How previously unpublished is previously unpublished?!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
How previously unpublished is previously unpublished?!

A story that I have posted here is getting published. Like most places, they only want previously unpublished stories. Do you think that means I have to take it off here? I don't want to... It seems very unlikely that these people would know.
What does anyone think about this?

First off, congrats! Which story is it, and where's it published? I'd ask the publishers, and if they would prefer it taken down, then I would take it down. Of course they may never know if you don't tell them, but that is what I would do. Don't wanna go and upset 'em now. Tell us what the story is first though, so I can go back and have a look!
Josie's right. One of my stories on here is being published; I asked them and they said it didn't matter it being on here - in fact they welcomed the free publicity of the anthology getting a mention on here.
Thanks for your comments. I suppose I should ask them really... it's a short story called Maud and Joseph, which I am trying to develop into something longer and more in depth, maybe even (gasp) a novel. Have you any experience of writing a properly developed lengthy piece? Anyway, the story's going to be in a new literary journal based in England called Ripcurl. Not sure about the name... Thanks again both of you.
Isn't it great when a short story becomes a novel? I've been away a while doing two things. Firstly I have completed a joint novel with my best friend and writing buddy, Docpov. Halleswell Hall is due out in the next few months, mostly held up by the fact that I wanted a Tudor house for the book cover. I found what I wanted on the Internet & played around with the image, but then I thought, what about breaching copyright? So we took it turns to aprroach the website. Would the manager bite when I told him our novel had 500 years of History, from piracy & plague, civil war to civil rights and plenty of action & romance thrown in? Of course he did, they do murder weekends at the old manor house. So always do your homework and never be afraid to push your book. Lisa. http://postcardsfromtheunderworld.co.uk.

Lfuller

First, nice to have you back! I was thinking of you the other day, was going to wing you an email, found this first! Congrats on the novel, please let me know when it's out. I'll certainly buy one. Hope all is well with you, so good to see you about. Lisa
Congrats! How did you get published, Ms Elf? You got an agent?
Nope! We decided to self-publish so I'll be leting you know how this works. We have both had a few minor successes.I had an approach by the BBC website on my non-fiction article, "Sands Of Speed", relating to Pendine sands in Wales where all the speed trials were held and so many adventureres died. I've had a lot of sucess with travel articles but although I have many articles on sites they don't pay well. David did well with local articles. Sadly he lives near to Ipswich where those horrible murders took place. We had been thinking for a while about attempting a crime novel but it wasn't down to the the Ipswich murders. In fact the action takes place near my home town & takes in the area where the SAS completes thier training. I've written my own novel, "Sophie's Urn" and this is going to be sent to every publisher I can find in the book "Writer's and Artist's yearbook." I had to take the first five chapters off abc as I am going all out for publication with NO cost to myself. Thanks for the interest & I'll keep you updated. Lisa.X

Lfuller

Topic locked