Meeting authors

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Meeting authors

I recently went to Milton Keynes to see Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn/Stormlight Archive/Wheel of Time) do a Q+A and a signing.

He was a thoroughly nice man, had a lot of time for each of us. My reason for going was that, whilst he is my favourite author, I wanted an insight into how professional writers work etc.

My question to you all is this;

If yu have gone to one of these signings what was your reason for going? Was it pure fandom or from a curiousity like mine? Can you pass on any nuggets of wisdom?

If anyone is interested I asked Brandon (we are on first name terms, at least he wrote 'To Alex' in my book) about building magic systems.

I went a thing with James Elroy once, a long time ago. He had a handshake like a vice and called me 'hepcat,' which was worth the entrance fee alone.

Met Monica Dickens (is she still alive?), she was judging a short story comp at my school in London (I was highly commended!) and met Harold Pinter, who is/was brilliant of course, although I was too young to know that at the time :) I think it was a thingy organised by the local community centre. http://www.ukauthors.com
Topic locked