Why the economic crisis?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Why the economic crisis?

I contend that in the West since the age of Revolution we have merely extended concept of feudalism, that is to say that corporate capitalism is in no way different to the Monarchist structures it seeks to replace. This is not to advocate communism on my part, but rather to say that we do not live in a consumer paradise as it is presided over by political rhetoric which ties us into a boom and bust economy. When the ancient Greeks created the concept of democracy ,citizenship was at its heart that is to say that all citizens have the right to sit in Congress. Whilst this is still true in theory in practice politics is really a game of class ties and economic brinkmanship based on conglomerate control of mass media.

Where in then does the common citizen have their say? The whole concept of the ballot box is antiquated in that you can vote for a government who done wholeheartedly go against the policies and which they were elected. All hierarchal system must have a resonant feedback loop, this is a law of nature not just a political law. The failure of our system is displaying symptoms, in the form of social disappointment which can only in time add up to social unrest.

John Major claimed famously that we were now living in a classless society, and yet less than 20 years later social divisions have never been sharper within the country than since the 1930s. Victorian imposition of class values sees the working class as mere units of production rather than human beings with hopes and aspirations. Therefore the working classes have been demonised in the right-wing press as somehow lacking in moral fibre.

This is completely untrue, as the first member of my family to attend university an aspiration which could not be achieved by the previous generation. I can tell you that there are more working class graduates than ever. However as a generation they're becoming completely disenfranchised seeing no hope of career entry, promotion or even the promotion of well being within the current economic climate.

The current Prime Minister David Cameron is on record as stating that every school should be like Eton. As a father myself I think that represents fantastic ideal(education is the primary root to social improvement), however the power structure that created institutions such as Eton and Burkes peerage is one whose primary aim is to repress the ambition of the working class and Institute for policy which keep them in control of the political landscape in order to maintain the rigid class structure for generations to come. How do citizens regain their voice

The last paragraph of your post is an absolute killer but then again the content of the whole piece is difficult to gainsay unless you lack compassion and a moral, social compass.

How do citizens regain their voice? Good question. A lot of us have fun 'setting the world to rights' in the cafe often in a tongue in cheek way but this is not the same as running the country.

Frank Furedi (very readable journo and academic) wrote that 'politics hasn't died it's just gone into retirement'. He obviously does not know East Devon because politics has never happened here at all! We have always been purely feudal here and have Sir Hugo Swine as Tory MP.

All the best.   Elsie