Wolf-Whistled at young Woman reports Wolf-Whistling Builders to Police

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wolf-Whistled at young Woman reports Wolf-Whistling Builders to Police

20-year-old Poppy Smart reported a builder to the police for wolf-whistling at her in the street.

Maybe it did irritate her but she would have been better-off ignoring him or varying her route.

Having said that, the builder was a bit of an idiot.  Even though he was not married, he still had a partner and a young child.  His girlfriend may leave him one day when she tires of his infidelities (he even boasts of kissing some women who respond to his whistling) and what example does he set his child if he behaves unfaithfully to his partner?

I think it's a matter of respect. He might be "appreciating" her, but only her physical appearance, and in the crudest way possible. If he wants to make her feel good about herself, he could make a polite comment on how nice she looks. If he wanted her to become interested in him, he could strike up a conversation and get to know her. He does not seem to want that.

Whistling (or honking, which I have also experienced), is a way to make that person feel uncomfortable. I have heard it described as men marking their territory and gaining superiority over those inside of it. It is a very animalistic instinct. I respond to it the same way I would if a dog were barking at me from behind a fence: avoid eye contact and calmly move away.