Improved indices for writers?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Improved indices for writers?

I've just devised an index for my writing on abctales: http://www.cellarscene.co.uk/staff/writind.htm

Is there any way we could have such things as standard?

Please feel free to copy and improve on my html coding, everyone. (Then I'll steal the improved version!)

David Taub (aka...
Anonymous's picture
I took a peek... Looks good! I admire anyone who has got to grips with html stuff... I tried, and then my appreciation for my webmaster increased ten-fold. I've simply had him add two links and a description about ABCtales to my site www.ukpoet.cjb.net From a previous thread I started, I get the impression that most of the subscribers to ABC don't have a website. In a few email exchanges I have had, I also get the impression that quite a few don't ever stray beyond the boundaries of ABC (either in email correspondence or web browsing) either, which is a shame as that is where all the thousands of new potential subscribers to ABC are! So it's down to the likes of you to carry on spreading the word, Eric.
lisa_gibson
Anonymous's picture
Wow, I'm impressed by your website. I know diddley about html. I think the index you put up is terrific. It helps to let people know about abctales. I say you did a great job!
Eric
Anonymous's picture
Thanks, Lisa! Feel free to copy it and modify it for your own use. (Right click with your mouse - "view source", copy, paste into notebook, then you can use a free website provider such as yahoo/geocities, and paste it into the window opened by the associated html editor. Then replace my photo, keywords, links and titles with your own... Easy!)
Emily Dubberley
Anonymous's picture
Thanks very much Eric - that's ACE! Love 'Steenbok' by the way.
Eric
Anonymous's picture
Thanks, Emily! They are lovely little creatures, virtually always in small family groups. That's perhaps one of the reasons the San people identified with them - they too lived in small family groups. They believed that if one did somehow harm a steenbok then evil would result. The Heart of the Hunter by Laurens van der Post gives a womderful account of this.
mr. testy prole
Anonymous's picture
eric, have tried to view your page but all I get is the background colour. I can get the coding source but no words on the screen. I use netscape but can view the rest of your site with this browser. I switched to explorer and .....tada there you are. I can only assume that there must be something different in the coding on your page to that used on the rest of the cellarscene site. Haven't had time to check myself though. just thought it worth a mention. no point losing an audience over browser incompatibility. testy. btw. had you down as a sven-goran svengali elder of the tribe type. another illusion shattered. you're far too young!
R.
Anonymous's picture
yes and what *exactly* is it that you don't like about your real first name, eric? um, maybe i'd rather you didn't answer that...
Eddie
Anonymous's picture
Eric's first name is Reebok. It's a cross between 'Reefer' and 'Steenbok.' This is because he's a Party Animal. Oh, and for the record, Sven Goram is Eric's son.
Eric
Anonymous's picture
Sorry about the site's incompatibility with Netscape, Testy. As I said, I'd be delighted if someone would improve the coding - then we could all copy it and use it for our own indices. I am not a computer boffin myself, and am no great fan of Microsoft and Bill Gates, but my aol account is geared to IE. A friend did much of the Cellar Scene magazine site, but her computer is out of action at present. I clumsily adapted her coding for my index. Regarding the Svengali comment - I'm 36. I'm not sure whether to take your remark as a compliment or an insult! I am wondering how I gave this impression? Dear R. (Is this Eddie?) My mother's name is Roberta. My father's is Robert. Once they'd called me Robert they realised things might become confusing, so they used my second name. (My aunt is Erica, and my grandfather was Eric!) My brother and sister, who came along later, received more original names. I hope these are satisfactory responses!
Eddie
Anonymous's picture
I'm not 'R' I'm Eddie. You bought me a pint tonight because you forgot my birthday. Remember?
Eric
Anonymous's picture
Eddie The pint was a token to keep you going while I think of a much better present. I'm sorry I forgot your birthday. I vote we don't continue with these irrelevant "pint-scoring" topics under this thread. I'd be grateful if someone would fix the coding of the index for Netscape.
iFB
Anonymous's picture
when WAS eddie's birthday? ... if only i had known i could have forgotten it too ... i don't think Fanclub Hon Secs should be denied this type of information ...
mr testy prole
Anonymous's picture
morning eric, I had a quick look (I'm not a boffin either) just now and you seem to have a script tag missing. if you look at the sourc
mr testy prole
Anonymous's picture
morning eric, I had a quick look (I'm not a boffin either) just now and you seem to have a script tag missing. if you look at the sourc
mr testy prole
Anonymous's picture
TESTY
Anonymous's picture
DAMM. .... (tol you i wasn't a boffin) ..... ...source for the cellarscene front page you will see after the tags a tag. I think if you copy this and paste it in to your index page the problem may be cured. Other than that your coding seems fine to me.
Eddies P'ress S...
Anonymous's picture
(in correct thread, this time) To Hon. Sec. of Fan Club Please accept humblest apologies for the o'mission of Mr.Gibbon's' birth date in the 'Fun Pack for Yet Another Eddie Gibbons Fan Club' which we sent to you. The person who made the mistake has been taken outside and given a good thrashing with a soggy TLS.
Eric
Anonymous's picture
Many thanks, Testy! I shall try and sort it on Sunday afternoon. Many thanks, Testy! I shall try and sort it on Sunday afternoon. Many thanks, Testy! I shall try and sort it on Sunday afternoon. Are you a civil servant?
Eric
Anonymous's picture
Testy, I've had a look at it now, and I don't think it's the problem you mention as there's no javascript used in my index page. I'll maybe get around to tinkering with it, and looking at the results in Netscape. Thanks again, anyway! PS Sorry, the apostrophes came back!
testy
Anonymous's picture
sorry that did not work eric. it was the only thing I spotted that was different from the other pages. one other point though. your type tends to be lost in the grey background. this background works well on the rest of the site due to the use of coloured and bold type. normal type gets a bit lost. maybe I need spectacles. although I've always been told that I always make a spectacle of myself when out.
Topic locked